A herbicide question for you experts....

Help Support CattleToday:

whitewing

Reaction score
I´ve got a client who wants me to plant about 10 acres in bermuda for him. He first wants to kill a tropical grass growing on the place with glyfosan a systemic herbicide which I´m sure is a glyphosate-based product....this stuff kills everything green.

How long after it´s applied to the existing grass before I can plant the bermuda? Oh, the bermuda will be planted as sprigs or cut green material.

Thanks in advance for your response.

whitewing":3kofs0bc said:
I´ve got a client who wants me to plant about 10 acres in bermuda for him. He first wants to kill a tropical grass growing on the place with glyfosan a systemic herbicide which I´m sure is a glyphosate-based product....this stuff kills everything green.

How long after it´s applied to the existing grass before I can plant the bermuda? Oh, the bermuda will be planted as sprigs or cut green material.

Thanks in advance for your response.

I have applied roundup (glyphosate) on Bermuda, it will burn it a little but will not kill it. I'm trying to remember the mix rate but will have to look.
Learned this from a sod manager at a golf course. Was a surprise to me.
The answer is spray today, plant tomorrow.

Yes, you can spray today and plant tomorrow but since you are going to sprig the bermuda you will need to harrow the soil to get it ready to sprig so you can pack it well. Due to this you really need to let it die and almost begin to rot before you put the harrow to it else you will create a huge mess. Best thing to do is be patient, let it die, let it begin to break down, possibly burn the debris and then test with the harrow to see what kind of job you are going to get. Delaying the work can make the difference between harrowing it twice or harrowing it seven times.

I'm no expert, but yeah, you need to give the herbicide time to get down and kill the roots before tilling or harrowing in your bermuda sprigs. Here, I'd give it at least a week or 2, then look at the root system.
Edit--you may want to wait longer than that if this is the same herbicide you are going to use:

"GLYFOSAN 48 SL - is a non selective systemic herbicide, to control of annual and perennial grasses and broad leaves weeds in post-emergence phase in coffee, plantain, banana, cotton, fruit trees and oil palm. It is also recommended to control weeds in non cultivated areas, such matured of sugar cane, in pre-emergence applications and in minimum tillage systems. The annual weeds are more susceptible to the product during growing. Perennial weeds require higher doses to control them. It is required that the weeds have 6 to 8 leaves for a good absorption and translocation of the herbicide, and its effect begins between 8 and 10 days after the application."

Venezuela?
Odd world we live in-here we are in the US planting tropical based forages and you are in Venezuela killing tropical grass and planting Bermuda.
:D

A bank that I have an account in here locally was closed down this past week by the FDIC and handed over to another bank to resume operations. One of the investment gurus at the closed bank left a suicide note and disappeared off a ferry boat near Key West, Fla. back in June. His body was never found and he is believed to have travelled to Venezuela where he owns some land. $40 million in investor funds are also missing.

greybeard":2mad5ki9 said:
its effect begins between 8 and 10 days after the application."

Must be some weak glyphosate. Remember a LOT of these chemicals are really the same thing, just different labels and marketing. I would just go to TSC and get some of their Big 'n Tuf, which is the same chemically as Roundup, i.e. glyphosate. Spray it well, wait a month, then start harrowing/seeding or whatever you're going to do.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/gordon-s-r ... l--4201103

Ruark":3507qiu9 said:
greybeard":3507qiu9 said:
its effect begins between 8 and 10 days after the application."

Must be some weak glyphosate. Remember a LOT of these chemicals are really the same thing, just different labels and marketing. I would just go to TSC and get some of their Big 'n Tuf, which is the same chemically as Roundup, i.e. glyphosate. Spray it well, wait a month, then start harrowing/seeding or whatever you're going to do.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/gordon-s-r ... l--4201103
Well, I dunno--that's what the label said--I pasted it right from the specimen label--maybe it lost something in the translation from Spanish to English.
lynnmcmahan--he's in Venezuela. They may not have TSC there.

Thanks everyone for the comments! The client sprayed shortly after I posted the original question and it´s now been a month. The field plowed nicely which was impossible to do with the original pasture planted.

We finished planting today with good rains in the area. :cboy:

Latest posts