A HARD PULL

Help Support CattleToday:

robert":dytmwqhb said:
This particular animal was slipping her placenta 2 weeks short of her due date, wasn't showing any particular inclination to go into labor (it was 3 hours between calling the vet and them actually arriving) got a small live calf that is already a couple hundred bucks in the hole.

Am I missing something here? were it actually the placenta you saw on the outside of the cow you'd have a dead calf, regardless of how quickly the vet came. I presume you've worked with enough cattle that you'd 1) recognize a heifer in early stages of labor with fetal membranes from the water sac showing, and 2) you are actually capable of pulling a small calf from a first-calf heifer?

milkmaid":gabjkver said:
robert":gabjkver said:
This particular animal was slipping her placenta 2 weeks short of her due date, wasn't showing any particular inclination to go into labor (it was 3 hours between calling the vet and them actually arriving) got a small live calf that is already a couple hundred bucks in the hole.

Am I missing something here? were it actually the placenta you saw on the outside of the cow you'd have a dead calf, regardless of how quickly the vet came. I presume you've worked with enough cattle that you'd 1) recognize a heifer in early stages of labor with fetal membranes from the water sac showing, and 2) you are actually capable of pulling a small calf from a first-calf heifer?

Without any doubt!

I love internet discussion sites because we can all be monday morning quarterbacks! :lol:

Not the water sac, the calf sac, again, bad choice of words on my part but when a cow has passed the sac first a dead calf usually follows, the fact that this heifer didn't make any effort to assist (period!) meant that we did get the calf alive, just! The fact that we assisted at all gets her a one way ticket out of here.

As policy we don't assist cows to do those things we believe are basic and fundamental to profitability and also we believe that our role as a seedstock producer is to prevent as many problems as possible being manifested in our valuable commercial customers herds. Job 1 of any cow is to get bred, have a live calf on her own, own it, raise it, get bred back and do it all again next year. She should do this in decent flesh with zero purchased feed and with a good attitude. No excuses, no exceptions.

This individual heifer failed on this, we intervened, it is irrelevent the size of the calf, most years now we barely see a cow calve, let alone assist. As I said, you can make exceptions or excuses for any animal, it's a free country, and perhaps our philosophy seems harsh but it has evolved as a result of experience, usually bad experiences with cattle that we made an exception for.

Anyone want a 2yo heifer that can't do the basics with a small steer calf at side and the start of a uterine infection (treated this am, more expense!)

No offers considered, we don't sell on problems we eat them. :D

robert":3qjprsum said:
I'll refer you to the last line of my post, given heifers and cows that couldn't do the basics right second chances before and every single time they've flunked again. This particular animal was slipping her placenta 2 weeks short of her due date, wasn't showing any particular inclination to go into labor (it was 3 hours between calling the vet and them actually arriving) got a small live calf that is already a couple hundred bucks in the hole.

We'll fatten the heifer in the fall after weaning, steer the calf and call it even. Plenty more heifers to replace her. I'm sure there are lots of folks who wouldn't think twice about giving her a second chance, whatever, you can make any excuse you like to keep a cow in the herd, end of story :D

Okay, so I might not be all that switched on but I'm confused.

You stated that the heifer was passing her PLACENTA before the calf, and she wasnt showing any signs of labour.

In a later post, you state that what you saw coming from the heifer was the amnion membrane - the one which surrounds the calf - and that she wasnt pushing. To me, that sounds an awful lot like the heifer was in labour but was not pushing.

So which is it???

Latest posts