A half a roll of barbed wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Today's dumb question----------Does anybody sell a half a roll of barbed wire? A brand new roll is kinda bulky for patching. It's also kinda heavy if an old man has to pack it through the woods very far. From time to time, I will buck of 80 feet or so, and coil it. That's s still kinda klunky on an atv.

They make an unroller that fits into your receiver hitch
It'd be pretty easy to make one

Bigfoot":m8medp6e said:
Today's dumb question----------Does anybody sell a half a roll of barbed wire? A brand new roll is kinda bulky for patching. It's also kinda heavy if an old man has to pack it through the woods very far. From time to time, I will buck of 80 feet or so, and coil it. That's s still kinda klunky on an atv.
When I take up some wire I make small rolls out of it and hang it on the corner post I always have wire near my patch

I have an old hub and 18 " sprocket welded to a sq tube that fits in my receiver hitch , I can set one roll on it for patching or put a post in the center and stack 5 rolls with Plywood disc spacers on it . it also fits my fel and I can pick up web wire and unroll it also . I had too add a brake to it cause it turns easy

callmefence":jut9g0fn said:
Send me a box adressed and prepaid freight.. I'll donate the half roll..
Well be square on the hay unroller idea.

I know it sounds silly to want a half a roll, but parts of my place aren't accessible by 4 wheeler. Me and the kids struck out on foot over thanksgiving break to do some mending. We were all carrying something, and as they got tired I took from them. By the time we got there, I wished I was packing half a roll not whole one. The next roll I use down, I'll save for such days.

Bigfoot":r9zqxps8 said:
callmefence":r9zqxps8 said:

I know it sounds silly to want a half a roll, but parts of my place aren't accessible by 4 wheeler. Me and the kids struck out on foot over thanksgiving break to do some mending. We were all carrying something, and as they got tired I took from them. By the time we got there, I wished I was packing half a roll not whole one. The next roll I use down, I'll save for such days.

Find you an old set of lawnmower handles and a piece of threaded rod. Run the rod through the roll and then the ends of the handles and put a nut and washer on each end. Drag it behind you to unroll as needed. Turn it over to drag to where you need it.

Bigfoot":2fyo880o said:
callmefence":2fyo880o said:

What I do is haul the roll on the mule as close to the place I need it as I can get. I pace or measure out how much wire I need. Walk back to the mule and unroll that amount then coil it up and carry it back to where I need it. Works good for an old phart

Save some of them 'almost done' rolls when you're building new.
Pick them up at the land fill.
Buy 'em from the scrappers.
Or get 'em from a fencer.
I loaned out my wire roller, they wanted to make a whole roll into a bunch of little ones for 'bear hair snares'---dna testing for grizzly bears, footback access

Bigfoot":3baoibx0 said:
callmefence":3baoibx0 said:

I have about 6 almost done rolls I use for the areas I have to walk to. Carrying a whole roll of barbed wire gets old in about 30 steps.

Cross-7":332vfibf said:
They make an unroller that fits into your receiver hitch
It'd be pretty easy to make one

I built one that holds 4 rolls horizontal. Put 1 inch pipe through the roll of wire and then onto a horizontal sucker rod. If you're just patching you can park and pull off the wire. I love it. It sure makes life easier. Should have built it years back.

Deer cart or a $5 yard sale jogging stroller with pneumatic wheels, cause if you're like me you need to bring everything and the kitchen sink or else it's an annoying hike back to the barn.

Latest posts