A group of young herd sires ... rip em up

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
These are the texas longhorn of the sheep world lol Horns, colour, tough as nails, and a bit of ear there too for you ear fans.

I'll be looking for a young herdsire from this group in the next few months ... this is only a few of them, there will be about 80 - 90 for me to pick from. Lot of these are direct embryos from Sth Africa

img_2648.jpg

img_2650.jpg

img_2651.jpg

img_2655a.jpg

img_2659.jpg

img_2661.jpg

img_2665.jpg

img_2666.jpg

img_2673.jpg

img_2675.jpg

img_2676.jpg

img_2678.jpg

img_2679.jpg

img_2681.jpg

img_2684.jpg

img_2685.jpg

Maybe I should know this Keren, but tell me again ~ what are they bred for? Meat or wool or..... what?

Keren,

I don't know much about sheep either but I like #5. I guess something about him appeals to me. I do like the color pattern but it's also something elseI can't put my finger on. You have a big job if you have all those to choose from!

Keren who do you like ? If 6 is that fat in the same environment as all of the other males he might be a good easy fleshing choice as well as #4..

I think I like 7 now as well.. :?

"you like that pattern Jane? cant say I'm a fan of it, personally. I have one ewe who has those markings very faint, and her ram lamb has them much the same as this ram.
Yeah like I said he's different, almost spooky looking. If I wanted one that stood out from the crowd he would be it I can't really pick out any difference in build, conformation or type from the group so yeah I'd go for different ... just look at the cattle I breed ;-)
Jane

Is there a chance you could post a picture of what they SHOULD look like. An outstanding individual to compare them to?

Does the wool completely have no value anymore? Those sheep look more like goats and if you shear them at all the fleece can't have any value.

brandon, they dont get sheared at all because she dont grow wool persay, the slight fuzz you see on some of these is just a winter coat, a cashmere like growth similar to a dog's undercoat.

3way, I'll get onto it, bear with me

Sheep were selected for an awful long time for their fleece. I can obviously see these aren't real wool bearers. I know nothing about the wool market. I was just asking if the wool market was so far gone that fleeceless sheep were now en vogue.

3way, this is a ram I really like in Sth Africa

HRK96121.jpg

Brandon, there is still a market for wool, there always will be, even with the current miserable prices. But self shedding breeds are ideal for hobby farmers, as they do not require shearing, crutching, mulesing, these dont require tail docking, plus they come in pretty colours :mrgreen:

Keren":udlgpdno said:
3way, this is a ram I really like in Sth Africa

HRK96121.jpg

Brandon, there is still a market for wool, there always will be, even with the current miserable prices. But self shedding breeds are ideal for hobby farmers, as they do not require shearing, crutching, mulesing, these dont require tail docking, plus they come in pretty colours :mrgreen:

Well then based on that standard I like numbers 9,10, and 14. But when it ocmes to sheep I will be the first to admit I don't know my rear end from a hole in the ground LOL

#1 - nothing much really jumps out at me about this ram, rather plain
img_2648.jpg

#2 - I like this young ram for the muscling and bone he displays, above and beyond what is 'normal' for the breed. I like the masculinity he displays at a young age. He doesnt show the length of body I'd like, nor the balance I'd like. He is still young, I'm not sure if he will improve with age, and if the unbalanced look is simply the awkward photo.
img_2650.jpg

#3 kinda fine built and feminine
img_2651.jpg

#4 - An older ram that I like for his breed character and overall balance and sirey outlook. I like his length and depth of body. Not so keen on his tail - it should be a little longer - and not real keen on the fact that he looks lighter in condition and muscling than the other rams.
img_2655a.jpg

#5 - the one that a lot of people said they liked. I certainly like the body on him, like the coat colour. He's not quite as clean in the hair coat, and I think he lacks masculinity and the slightly uphill and bumpy topline which is a breed characteristic.
img_2659.jpg

#6 is a big impressive ram but there's something about him that bothers me. I dont know whether its just an awkward photo, but he seems to be unbalanced to me. I'm also not keen on the uneven fat deposits of his tail.
img_2661.jpg

#7 a young ram who is a bit too fine made for my liking, although man I wish he were better bodied because that type of coat colour seems to throw speckled lambs, and I have mile long waiting lists for speckled lambs
img_2665.jpg

#8 same as above, although man, I think he's cute!
img_2666.jpg

#9 just a plain type of ram, nothing much about him jumps out at me
img_2673.jpg

#10 this ram I quite like - he appears to have a slight advantage in muscle over some of the others, a big solid, long bodied ram and I'd like to see more pics of him. I like the breed character and masculinity he displays in his head, and his tail is fantastic. Great coat colour, I'd prefer better hair quality
img_2675.jpg

#11 another finely built ram
img_2676.jpg

#12 through to #15, again just plain rams that dont really leap out at me
img_2678.jpg

img_2679.jpg

img_2681.jpg

img_2684.jpg

#16 another young ram but seems to have advantages in muscling and masculinity over the majority of the younger rams. very long in the body, I quite like this ram. Good coat colour, and he's got the waddles which is another thing lots of my clients are after. Great tail on this guy.
img_2685.jpg

So I guess the ones I'm kinda interested in are 2, 4, 10 and 16.

spoke with the breeder briefly today and was pleased to hear that she thinks #2 is the standout ram, closely followed by #10. turns out I might have a decent eye for these sheep after all lol at this stage I am just kinda muddling my way through them :)

considering I was only supposed to be leasing one off her ... I'm sorely tempted to buy that #2 and will be heading out there once my truck is back from the mechanic, to look and probably bring him home.

Latest posts