A good old bull, part one.

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms":a7yw7ooj said:
Dylan Biggs":a7yw7ooj said:
:lol: alec the farmer has a wild bull in his undies! Alexa you are barking up the wrong tree no wild bull here, few trees for that matter either! I don't know you, believit or not you don't know me or my neighbor or any of my neighbors for that matter. But keep it up if it strokes your goat, but I must admit I do think we have a mutual relationship developing. I get the impression you are happy not to be my neighbor and I am more than happy I am not yours. If you like you can shoot me in the guts and eat my liver. Stay happy! :tiphat:

You make all the jokes you like. Anyone who would treat his neighbors with such disrespect and makes light of it on a public forum isn't going to earn much respect from anyone for long. I'm not one bit ashamed to have been the only person on this forum to object to your actions or attitudes toward your neighbors.

One of my favorite Hank Williams, Sr. songs is "Mind Your Own Business".

It keeps playing in the back of my head for some silly reason.

Dylan Biggs":2utb31mv said:
Alix farms I get the impression you have tenacity, I like that! Good for you! Don't let go! :lol: Give it to me, I can take it! Me and my neighbors are good easy going folks who have gotten along for 50 years and I certainly wouldn't want that to detract you from your mission. :D

Lol. Your writing was so mesmerizing I had to go to bed. It's a smaller world than you realize. They are nice looking cattle, but then I already mentioned that.

Well, I have this to say, we've had trouble with neighbors bulls, and unless it's got my brand on it, it doesn't belong in my pastures... If it's a real rarity that he gets in my field, I'll be nice about it, but I'm going to be miffed the owner doesn't fix my fence and my cows go out wandering.

alexfarms":2338f2we said:
He is a nice looking bull and I respect the longevity, but I can tell a lot about a guy by how much respect he gives his neighbor. Bulls with that kind of problem disposition should be gone.
Strong labido and disposition are two different things,..

ALACOWMAN":wqca7dlu said:
alexfarms":wqca7dlu said:
He is a nice looking bull and I respect the longevity, but I can tell a lot about a guy by how much respect he gives his neighbor. Bulls with that kind of problem disposition should be gone.

Breeding cows (libido) and tearing up fences are two different things. A good disposition bull doesn't tear up fences. You're saying a bull doesn't have a strong libido unless he tears through fences? If you can't keep a bull where he belongs and under control he's useless.

The hardest animal to fence that I ever owned was a steer. He would put his head up in the air and run right through the fence. What he didn't knock down he'd jump over. He'd have his brisket all cut up from running through fences.

alexfarms":26cl0gp6 said:
ALACOWMAN":26cl0gp6 said:
alexfarms":26cl0gp6 said:

Breeding cows (libido) and tearing up fences are two different things. A good disposition bull doesn't tear ...my last bull would travel across the country to breed a cow put up a mile of hot wire to keep him home...easy to handle and never tried to charge or bluff me...sired good dispositioned calves...I'm easy going for the most part but I've seen gals I'd tear a fence up to get to :cowboy:

Steers always seem to be hard on fences.. heck, they don't have the danglers to worry about when they go through/over it!..

Who was it a while back who had a bull wanting to go visit some cows he wasn't supposed to, he swam through a pond and met a nice hotwire on the other side that smartened him up but good!

I have a few cows who are hard on fences... for the most part they know when I'm pizzed with them.. I yell out "git yer head out of the fence" along with their name... Most of the time they jump back and look at me, then behave for a few minutes.. until I turn my back on them of course.

Nesikep":34mp0ypx said:
Steers always seem to be hard on fences.. heck, they don't have the danglers to worry about when they go through/over it!..

Who was it a while back who had a bull wanting to go visit some cows he wasn't supposed to, he swam through a pond and met a nice hotwire on the other side that smartened him up but good!

I have a few cows who are hard on fences... for the most part they know when I'm pizzed with them.. I yell out "git yer head out of the fence" along with their name... Most of the time they jump back and look at me, then behave for a few minutes.. until I turn my back on them of course.
Nes, cows are much smarter than people acknowledge. I mess with mine like you do. They mind and behave like a dog. I know what mine are going to do before they do it. They are picking up word commands. I have the most docile heifer I have had since I started. Melaina. She will be 11 months old in July. She is like a dog. She prefers my company to any of the other cows. I am attached to her. I never leave until I give her a little love.

This is not directed at alexfarms. I have seen their posts on here and I like what I see.

I get irritated in my personal relationships when someone behaves like they know more about me than I do. Maybe they do. But reminds me of a joke about a guy who always knows where people are from. This is not the joke but it is kinda like this.

They are like a dog who can sniff your butt and tell you what state you are from.

My neighbors and I trade bulls back and forth all winter and half the time it's herefords. To any bull that is worth having in our steep brushy country that fifty year old wire is just a suggestion as the terrain is worse than the fence is. It has nothing to do with disposition and everything to do with libido. And neighbors in similar terrain either understand that or will once they've done it for a few years.

inyati13":3g2nt2t5 said:
This is not directed at alexfarms. I have seen their posts on here and I like what I see. But their post here seem out of sort.

I get irritated in my personal relationships when someone behaves like they know more about me than I do. Maybe they do. But reminds me of a joke about a guy who always knows where people are from. This is not the joke but it is kinda like this.

They are like a dog who can sniff your butt and tell you what state you are from.

"This is not directed at alexfarms. I have seen their posts on here and I like what I see. But their post here seem out of sort."

LOL. Hmmm. Let's see, your post isn't directed at me, but it's my posts that are the topic of your post? Maybe you could clarify your statement for me?

Meanwhile, I'll clarify the only point I've made in this entire thread. A bull that can't be controlled with fences is not a keeper. There is no way a sane person could possibly believe a bull can't have a strong libido without crawling through fences. The bull got out, tore up fences, bred a neighbors cows 3 miles away. The neighbor tells him they don't need these kinds if headaches and "councils him to get rid of the bull" and here is saying he kept the bull, he's still getting out all the time and he's bragging the bull up. I don't think I'm outta line here. I haven't used any school yard language. Do you think I've been outta line?
"I can tell a lot about a person by how he treats his neighbors." That's not an original statement, that's a pretty well accepted theory that I've heard often repeated throughout my life. It's not too far from the biblical verse often called the golden rule. Another statement I've often heard in my life is "Good fences make good neighbors."

alexfarms":18w36wsr said:
Do you think I've been outta line?
I'm not inyati, but I don't think you're out of line. I just think you've never been around real range cattle that have to go out and push for a living.

cow pollinater":1ryp77i8 said:
alexfarms":1ryp77i8 said:
Do you think I've been outta line?
I'm not inyati, but I don't think you're out of line. I just think you've never been around real range cattle that have to go out and push for a living.

I haven't been around every type, but if any cause trouble they go. The Blanchard and Lindgren Banner Domino cows were pretty darn tough. We had a good group of them when I was a kid. They were well known for their disposition problems. They came from a registered herd of 900 cows in the sandhills near Bridgeport, NE and they got very little human attention.

In your case, with commercial cattle I can understand your thinking. When someone is going to maintain registered stock, they can't put up with cattle tearing up fences. In the OPs case it's obvious at least one neighbor didn't want to put up with it.

I think you are making implications that go beyond the information presented. You imply that Dylan has issues with his neighbors. Do you know that? If you do and can prove the veracity of your statements you have perjured Dylan. I think that might be why he responded as such.

I searched your past posts, briefly. You are a pleasant, intelligent person. Why would you get this upset on the paucity of information presented in this thread? His statement on the bull going through fences may partly employ the art of exaggeration. For example, the bull may have gotten out a couple times. To convey that, I might say, "my bull will walk through a 6 guard rail pen." I think that is what he might have been doing. If you have more information than is provided here, my apologies.

alexfarms":ov9m8aei said:
In your case, with commercial cattle I can understand your thinking. When someone is going to maintain registered stock, they can't put up with cattle tearing up fences. In the OPs case it's obvious at least one neighbor didn't want to put up with it.
I do also make my own bulls as I also have registered stock. My worst for travelling is a home-made bull. He is dog gentle but tough as nails and will literally out-breed the herefords two to one and that's with time spent on the neighbor's place.
Your goal as a registered cowman should be to produce bulls that a commercial cowman wants to own as that is your market... We're here telling you that we want libido that will make him jump a fence and you're telling us we're wrong... I give... I'm happy to be wrong and let you keep your bulls. I like the ones that work for a living.

inyati13":1zw97lg2 said:
I think you are making implications that go beyond the information presented. You imply that Dylan has issues with his neighbors. Do you know that? If you do and can prove the veracity of your statements you have perjured Dylan. I think that might be why he responded as such.

I searched your past posts, briefly. You are a pleasant, intelligent person. Why would you get this upset on the paucity of information presented in this thread? His statement on the bull going through fences may partly employ the art of exaggeration. For example, the bull may have gotten out a couple times. To convey that, I might say, "my bull will walk through a 6 guard rail pen." I think that is what he might have been doing. If you have more information than is provided here, my apologies.

He sure had an issue with the neighbor he mentioned in the post. I'm just going by what he's mentioned in his posts. I've been to Alberta several times. My father spent most of his youth in Lacombe. I have more relatives in Alberta than I have in the states. Do I know any of his neighbors, idk, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I did. It's a small world.

I just objected because I believed a point needed to be made. I've been in that neighbor's situation and I've never had a guy just dismiss me the way he dismissed his neighbor. I've also had my cattle get out and do damage and I have always done my best to put and end to it and make it right with my neighbor.

I guarantee you, bulls don't have to be hard on fences in order to have strong libido.

alexfarms":3g2qhsj6 said:
Dylan Biggs":3g2qhsj6 said:
Alix farms I get the impression you have tenacity, I like that! Good for you! Don't let go! :lol: Give it to me, I can take it! Me and my neighbors are good easy going folks who have gotten along for 50 years and I certainly wouldn't want that to detract you from your mission. :D

Lol. Your writing was so mesmerizing I had to go to bed. It's a smaller world than you realize. They are nice looking cattle, but then I already mentioned that.

Here is me this morning mesmerizing my wild raging property destroying public menace of a bull. :lol: He is the bull that visited my neighbor that I speak of once when he was a yearling. I went with the trailer the same day and walked the bull onto the trailer out of his heifers. I then went and fixed 2 broken wires. 5 years later the bull got out with our neighbors heifers to the east, he and I went and loaded the bull on the trailer and we had a beer. I have known my neighbors all my life I am 54. I stay trim chasing wild raging bulls around the country, mesmerizing them. This is ranch country, average ranches around here are over 10,000 acres, cattle get out. My nearest neighbor to the north that isn't family is 9 miles, my nearest to to the east is 2 miles, to the south 5 miles to the west 7 miles. This is big country we deal with range cattle and we typically work together with our grazing plans to avoid bull mix ups. You have obviously had a bad experience with a neighbors bull and inexplicably believe your experience to be my neighbors experience. It may be a small world but not small enough for you to know the facts of the incidence of which I shared. It is interesting you have been so quick to cast my integrity and character in a negative light based on presumption and extrapolation. Good neighbors are usually not so quick to pull the trigger. Your bull trauma must be profound for you to shoot first and who cares about asking any questions. I do in fact empathize with you because wild raging bulls are not any fun and just a few short years ago a neighbor to the east had a Charolais bull in with 300 RA heifers he had purchased. The Charolais bull belonged to my neighbor to the south and they were chasing that bull with tractors and trucks and 4 wheelers and if he wasn't raging before he was after. The owner of the heifers said if that bull was back in the heifers in the morning he would shoot the bull. He awoke at 5 went out to the pasture with his heifers to find the bull back in his pasture with his heifers. He took out his rifle and shot the bull dead, then went to the owners house and told him he had shot his bull. My bull never did and never has needed to be shot. If he had he I would have put him on a trailer and sent him to the market. You chastise me for talking about my bull in a cavalier manner in public. Well I would be more embarrassed if I behaved like you castigating someones character and integrity in public without first hand factual information and without even asking for it. But it seems you are on a bit of a crusade so you may not have the where with all to have that degree of self awareness. You may want to seek help for your post traumatic raging bull disorder. I get along with all my neighbors and I help them with cattle regardless of who they belong to. two weeks ago a neighbor had 5 heifers get in with our bulls. I rounded them all up and sorted them and corralled them, and they were very nervous by the way. I called him and he came with his trailer and I loaded them for him. He thanked me. You may want to make this small world of which you speak a bit smaller by doing a bit more thorough research before you choose to cast a questionable light on a strangers character. Speaking of cattle getting out here are a few pics from today of me getting a yearling heifer of ours, a wild raging property destroying public menace of a heifer, out of the neighbors cows. You can see her frothing at the mouth all sweated up and bleeding from tearing down a couple miles of barbed wire, and she was always ducking off into the trees. I am sure by now you have guessed she must be related to my wild bull, 2 times actually. Pics below my wild bull. Oh and the last pic is a daughter of the wild raging bull, I was laying on the ground beside her in the pasture today hoping she would stomp some sense into me for wasting my time with such trivial nonsense but she just stood there and continued to graze so I took a picture of her udder for you, isn't it nice? :)

1623664_706492046066667_6253376778563057175_n.jpg

10491184_706509009398304_5664634430335560534_n.jpg

10436155_706491982733340_6336231672891778674_n.jpg

10494679_706491912733347_997290998843315834_n.jpg

Latest posts