A good old bull, part one.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
Just thought I might share some pics and some history of this old home raised Angus bull. Canadian registration # 1303204, tattoo tkra 61p. He is a black red carrier. Sometimes you get lucky. I kept him because he was a good calf, nothing extraordinary, just a good correct calf out of a good cow and a good cow line, the Thelma cow line from Six Mile that we acquired from Ken Fraser in the late eighties. At the time he claimed it was his best cow family, that cow family has gone on to prove their worth here since. Lots of cow families have come and gone a few have adapted and continued to expand their influence overtime.

Bear in mind that these purebreds have always been managed as and with our commercial cows except for the breeding pasture. Cow numbers fluctuate with drought, through BSE and grasshopper infestations over time, we calved 300 plus cows this May and June. Our cows have been exposed to a 48 day breeding season since 1985. Many purebreds we have brought in over the years could not stay in the herd, though the commercial cows always hung in there. Bear in mind also the challenge of winter in this country north of 52 degrees latitude. Winter can be brutal here for 6 months like last year and as anyone who knows the historical thin margins in the cow business feed is fed as sparingly as possible. Always riding the thin line between maintaining adequate BCS and limiting feed expenses.

61P is not a growth bull, that is not my intention with Angus, my focus has been maternal function, the factory, fertility, calving ease, mothering ability, udder quality, disposition and longevity all within a level of management that reflects commercial viability. What he has done for me is all of the above. Moderate framed females that work and continue to work over time. Not necessarily pretty but functional. My work is to stabilize these traits within my population and be able to consistently pass these along through the sires selected with a high degree of repeatability.

These cattle won't suit everyone, nor should they, but over time they suit me, our management, environment, and business model over time.

As a yearling I let the young lad breed a few cows, his first calves were S's. That fall he wasn't satisfied with just a few and crawled 4 fences and found some cows of my neighbors 3 miles away. My neighbor kindly counciled I should get rid of him as that is the kind of head ache no one needs. I figured he would settle down as he matured and honestly I admired his desire to breed. And he has yet to settle down. This spring when I was checking our calving cows he made a visit to our cows from the north end of the ranch, four miles away, as a 10 yr old. He has bred a pile of cows in his career between here, Minburn Angus and Crowfoot Cattle Co and many neighbors in between.

Well yesterday we semen tested and he scored 91%, still has 48 cm scrotal. The pictures of him below are of when he was in his young, middle aged and as of yesterday. His feet have never been trimmed. Also a couple of his sons, the last two are line bred sons from the last couple of days.

59669_132705483445329_4319178_n.jpg

PIC_08161.jpg

PIC_1323.jpg

61PFrontProfile.JPG

DSCN1146.JPG

Part two.

The old man yesterday on the scale weighing 1950 lbs.

10338264_705906949458510_8679966467166421037_n.jpg

Still good footed, never trimmed.
10380280_705906982791840_2093384433610504709_n.jpg

10431676_705907032791835_2477050422707403305_n.jpg

A son from a few years ago, got stiffled in a fight. He never recovered.
PIC_3963.jpg

A son from yesterday.
10455056_705902976125574_6732807124634830695_n.jpg

Two line bred sons.

10505283_705902866125585_9016767709796212448_n.jpg

10394783_705903032792235_6794204737513884474_n.jpg

Just a good old bull who has done over time what I had hoped.

He's a nice bull for sure! I like the longevity and the fact that you put importance to it, and know the history. For us small guys with just one bull we often have to get rid of them while they're still working, which is really too bad for some.. our last GV was a perfect bull for us, 8 years old, 2050 lbs, calm mannered and didn't get worked up about anything, and had great calves. When it was time to ship him he just ambled onto the trailer.. what a relief!, we thought we may need to rebuild corrals!

Great story Dylan. I like that you run reds with your blacks. If I am not wrong the Six Mile cattle are still pretty hot stuff up in that country. :tiphat:

He is a nice looking bull and I respect the longevity, but I can tell a lot about a guy by how much respect he gives his neighbor. Bulls with that kind of problem disposition should be gone.

TennesseeTuxedo":155enu0p said:
If he ever wanders to Gallatin County Kentucky I'll leave the gate open for him.

:) He would like that. His libido is strong and fences not a big obstacle, but he doesn't mind gates at all. Fortunately his disposition is excellent and he passes it on to his progeny consistently. Part 2 I put in the first reply, so the title is a misnomer. My cattle are just cattle, I just do my best to share their good sides. :tiphat:

Dylan Biggs":1q3brhtw said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1q3brhtw said:
If he ever wanders to Gallatin County Kentucky I'll leave the gate open for him.

:) He would like that. His libido is strong and fences not a big obstacle, but he doesn't mind gates at all. Fortunately his disposition is excellent and he passes it on to his progeny consistently. Part 2 I put in the first reply, so the title is a misnomer. My cattle are just cattle, I just do my best to share their good sides. :tiphat:

LOL!! You call this a good disposition?:
"As a yearling I let the young lad breed a few cows, his first calves were S's. That fall he wasn't satisfied with just a few and crawled 4 fences and found some cows of my neighbors 3 miles away. My neighbor kindly counciled I should get rid of him as that is the kind of head ache no one needs. I figured he would settle down as he matured and honestly I admired his desire to breed. And he has yet to settle down. This spring when I was checking our calving cows he made a visit to our cows from the north end of the ranch, four miles away, as a 10 yr old. He has bred a pile of cows in his career between here, Minburn Angus and Crowfoot Cattle Co and many neighbors in between."

His quality and longevity may be good, but any bull that crawls through 4 fences has a disposition problem and if you have any respect for your neighbors at all you ought to bite the bullet and slaughter him. Bulls observe heat through vision and he didn't see those cows from 3 miles away. He was just tearing down fences and running wild through the neighborhood. Treating others like that is gonna catch up with you.

3waycross":2v5ejm95 said:
Dam, and this was such a cool thread until the spanking started............

Well, it needed to be said. I've dealt with poor disposition bulls like this and it does bother me that someone could take such a casual attitude toward damaging others property and operations. It's a major mess when you can't keep a neighbors bull out of you pasture and your neighbor just doesn't care at all.

alexfarms":68ewzq3x said:
3waycross":68ewzq3x said:

Well, it needed to be said. I've dealt with poor disposition bulls like this and it does bother me that someone could take such a casual attitude toward damaging others property and operations. It's a major mess when you can't keep a neighbors bull out of you pasture and your neighbor just doesn't care at all.

Alex I know yer all assed up but it's been said twice.......should be enough. Ultimately it is up to his neighbors not us.

3waycross":13qq4u7w said:
alexfarms":13qq4u7w said:
3waycross":13qq4u7w said:

Alex I know yer all assed up but it's been said twice.......should be enough. Ultimately it is up to his neighbors not us.
Maybe he has an "ok" from the neighbors. This bull probably gets a "free pass" because he's so nice. In fact, maybe they pay Dylan for his services! :D

3waycross":18dzmk9x said:
alexfarms":18dzmk9x said:
3waycross":18dzmk9x said:

Yes I said it twice and I'll keep saying it if I have to. The bull has a bad disposition, the neighbor definitely did not give an "ok", if you read his post, and the bull should have been culled. What's so special about a bull with average performance, he stayed sound for 10 years and he likes to tear up the neighbors property?

:lol: alec the farmer has a wild bull in his undies! Alexa you are barking up the wrong tree no wild bull here, few trees for that matter either! I don't know you, believit or not you don't know me or my neighbor or any of my neighbors for that matter. But keep it up if it strokes your goat, but I must admit I do think we have a mutual relationship developing. I get the impression you are happy not to be my neighbor and I am more than happy I am not yours. If you like you can shoot me in the guts and eat my liver. Stay happy! :tiphat:

Dylan Biggs":29firx5t said:
:lol: alec the farmer has a wild bull in his undies! Alexa you are barking up the wrong tree no wild bull here, few trees for that matter either! I don't know you, believit or not you don't know me or my neighbor or any of my neighbors for that matter. But keep it up if it strokes your goat, but I must admit I do think we have a mutual relationship developing. I get the impression you are happy not to be my neighbor and I am more than happy I am not yours. If you like you can shoot me in the guts and eat my liver. Stay happy! :tiphat:

You make all the jokes you like. Anyone who would treat his neighbors with such disrespect and makes light of it on a public forum isn't going to earn much respect from anyone for long. I'm not one bit ashamed to have been the only person on this forum to object to your actions or attitudes toward your neighbors.

Here are a few 61P daughters, raging, they were, I had to use my super duper deep space telephoto lens but I managed to snap off a few shots without losing any limbs!

10402755_706071482775390_3452990969105922264_n.jpg

with her week old calf.

10517568_706071436108728_5845586602865444249_n.jpg

10428507_706071469442058_4269705245877569731_n.jpg

Alix farms I get the impression you have tenacity, I like that! Good for you! Don't let go! :lol: Give it to me, I can take it! Me and my neighbors are good easy going folks who have gotten along for 50 years and I certainly wouldn't want that to detract you from your mission. :D

Latest posts