A good old bull, part one.

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13":34p8sqnw said:
I think you are making implications that go beyond the information presented. You imply that Dylan has issues with his neighbors. Do you know that? If you do and can prove the veracity of your statements you have perjured Dylan. I think that might be why he responded as such.

I searched your past posts, briefly. You are a pleasant, intelligent person. Why would you get this upset on the paucity of information presented in this thread? His statement on the bull going through fences may partly employ the art of exaggeration. For example, the bull may have gotten out a couple times. To convey that, I might say, "my bull will walk through a 6 guard rail pen." I think that is what he might have been doing. If you have more information than is provided here, my apologies.

Thank you for the benefit of the doubt, I appreciate it. :tiphat:

ALACOWMAN":26nmrzcj said:
alexfarms":26nmrzcj said:
He is a nice looking bull and I respect the longevity, but I can tell a lot about a guy by how much respect he gives his neighbor. Bulls with that kind of problem disposition should be gone.
Strong labido and disposition are two different things,..

I have always thought the same thing, but I guess we have been mistaken all these years! Who knew! :D

Dylan Biggs":1o98f8tv said:
inyati13":1o98f8tv said:
I think you are making implications that go beyond the information presented. You imply that Dylan has issues with his neighbors. Do you know that? If you do and can prove the veracity of your statements you have perjured Dylan. I think that might be why he responded as such.

I searched your past posts, briefly. You are a pleasant, intelligent person. Why would you get this upset on the paucity of information presented in this thread? His statement on the bull going through fences may partly employ the art of exaggeration. For example, the bull may have gotten out a couple times. To convey that, I might say, "my bull will walk through a 6 guard rail pen." I think that is what he might have been doing. If you have more information than is provided here, my apologies.

Thank you for the benefit of the doubt, I appreciate it. :tiphat:

The honor was mine. I enjoyed your entire presentation. I love the picture of you this morning with your arm on the bulls back.

Neighbor helping neighbor, country people, politeness and friendliness. It's called being neighborly, part of the community, a way of life.
The lacking of is part of what's wrong with the world

It was real eye opener for me to see how rude, intolerant and unfriendly people are in other places
Stuff I've seen would get your ass whooped where I come from

Dylan Biggs":1p525th9 said:
ALACOWMAN":1p525th9 said:
alexfarms":1p525th9 said:
He is a nice looking bull and I respect the longevity, but I can tell a lot about a guy by how much respect he gives his neighbor. Bulls with that kind of problem disposition should be gone.
Strong labido and disposition are two different things,..

I have always thought the same thing, but I guess we have been mistaken all these years! Who knew! :D

There's not much I can say without repeating myself. Twice before I said your cattle look good and the last pics look the same. There are cattle that have a knack for crawling through fences, it's in their nature and that makes it part of their disposition. It's genetic. If you keep those kind it will be in them, sometimes it can even skip generations. There are plenty of bulls with strong libido that don't crawl through fences and there is no reason to keep one that is gonna cause problems.

You haven't said anything to alter your original post about your neighbor asking you to get rid of the bull that caused him damage. Nice that you help out your neighbors, too back you didn't show him more respect.

There have been many posters on this site that have endured some pretty harsh criticism. Most have been bigg enough to take it in a constructive manner without long winded rationalizations.

On my place in Oregon I came home to find a really ugly, muttly Angus bull in my field with my reg. Brangus girls. So I headed down to the neighbors place to let him know his bull was out. And believe me, I was not happy that they were getting bred by that piece of crap!
But instead of getting mad, I just told him to get that butt ugly bull out of my field and bring me his nice bull from across the street. He promptly did so. Got my cows bred for free for a couple of years even. :D And we remained good friends and neighbors. So he wasn't the least bit angry when my eared bull got to some of his girls. :mrgreen:

The name I gave his Angus bull stuck. He still calls him "Butt Ugly" to this day! :lol:

Well, I can see both sides.. Around here we had an @sshole with open range around our place, and since our fencelines were the only thing green for miles, he'd drop them off at our front gate and let us deal with them for 3 months of the year.. Of course we both had bulls, so they'd fight, break the fence, and we'd end up with 20 of our cows and 100 of his in our fields... We'd call him, and after a day or two he'd show up and just start working the cattle without coming to the house first and telling us, and finally get his cows out... a few days later his bull (alone this time) broke in again, we called him and he NEVER did anything about it, we ended up feeding him for 2 months.. Same guy also stole a 2 week old calf from us, but try and prove it with a nutless constabulary. Finally the guy sold out, and the next was a rich spoiled doctor's kid who bought longhorns... Same deal, drop them off at our front gate in july and come back in october to look for them.. thankfully he didn't last long! The next guy pretty much gave up on this range as it wasn't worth the hassle, and it's been peaceful ever since.

Things like this make me understand how bulls wandering around can be a hot button for people like Alexfarms...

Dylan, you sound like you have decent relations with your neighbors and you do something about it if your animals get out. It's a couple bad apples like the guys we've had to deal with that'll spoil the bunch.

alexfarms":261upnpf said:
There's not much I can say without repeating myself. Twice before I said your cattle look good and the last pics look the same. There are cattle that have a knack for crawling through fences, it's in their nature and that makes it part of their disposition. It's genetic. If you keep those kind it will be in them, sometimes it can even skip generations. There are plenty of bulls with strong libido that don't crawl through fences and there is no reason to keep one that is gonna cause problems.

You haven't said anything to alter your original post about your neighbor asking you to get rid of the bull that caused him damage. Nice that you help out your neighbors, too back you didn't show him more respect.

There have been many posters on this site that have endured some pretty harsh criticism. Most have been bigg enough to take it in a constructive manner without long winded rationalizations.

Well John, apparently your perception of what is going on here with me, my neighbors and my cattle is reality, your reality, so be it, you seem very committed to it. To bad you have chosen to take such offense to me and my cattle because my guess is if we were to meet in person we would probably get along just fine, even as neighbors. Well I hope me and my cattle don't haunt you for long. Take care John, I sincerely hope you have a good year!

I wouldn't worry about it much,shame when ranchers who actually know what the he// their doing have a wrench thrown in the works ,,,who knows they are animals unable to suppress their sexual urges under human command...

I would say that Dylan's cattle has a good disposition. Cattle with bad disposition, would rather get away from you or try to kill you and in my experiences they are less fertile than the cattle with good dispositions.

From my perspective this thread is not about a bull. It is not about fences. It is not about neighbors.

It is about accepting the credibility of Dylan's explainations. Alexfarms is privileged to his own thoughts and conclusions. His own "reality" as Dylan called it. More power to Alexfarms.

Dylan, you rode the high road. Users see that. No matter what is said, people see.

Dylan Biggs":3ae0td6n said:
alexfarms":3ae0td6n said:

Well John, apparently your perception of what is going on here with me, my neighbors and my cattle is reality, your reality, so be it, you seem very committed to it. To bad you have chosen to take such offense to me and my cattle because my guess is if we were to meet in person we would probably get along just fine, even as neighbors. Well I hope me and my cattle don't haunt you for long. Take care John, I sincerely hope you have a good year!

edit: seems like the pot is hot enough without me stirring it.

Jake":338j5nuw said:
Dylan Biggs":338j5nuw said:
alexfarms":338j5nuw said:

edit: seems like the pot is hot enough without me stirring it.

:) Jake, thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it. We have had a dry cool spring after a terribly long winter. It finally rained here yesterday, we caught a few little thunder showers on some parts of the ranch. The grass looks good the hay is poor. Will start cutting what is there this week. Hope all is well in your country!

Dylan, let us talk weather. :D

I enjoyed the beginning of this thread. The information you provided was interesting. I lived in Casper, WY from 1981 to 1987. I lived in Helena, MT from 1987 to 2005. I saw some hard winters. I think Wyoming was worse than MT. The high plains, wind, you understand. I got up into Alberta many times. Took my son to Calgary (what a nice city). Took him to the dinosaur digs in eastern Alberta, etc. I hunted on the Peace River.

I saw lots of Black Angus in MT. I was always impressed with their endurance for the winters. Do you do anything to protect your cattle in the Winter? What time of year do you calf?

I was raised here in KY. But I spent 33 years in the Rocky Mtns. I didn't mention CO. This may surprise you. The winter we just went throught here in KY was as bad as any winter I spent out west. Let me explain. In the Rocky Mtns., you get low wind chills and ambient temperatures but it is dry for the most part. The sun almost always comes out and if you get out of the wind and in the sun, it can be very nice. Here, it is damp cold and you can go for 10 days and not see the sun. When storms come in, it may rain first, the cattle get wet to the skin, then the temperatures drop. It killed me seeing my cows wet and as cold as it was this winter. I baby my cows and I did a lot of things to help them cope. I did not lose a single animal. My neighbor lost 3 cows out of a herd only slightly bigger than mine.

My point is: what you get in lower temperatures, we make up for in dampness. What say you?

Latest posts