A Good Mentor

Help Support CattleToday:

icandoit

Reaction score
Just thought I would chime in about mentoring and this website. I'm brand new to the cattle fun and where I'm at I have 1 friend that I can ask questions and he'll answer them without a second look, (I do get the :?: look on some of the really oddball questions I ask if I don't explain it very well) :p . I also have 5 or 6 other people around here I can just call and get info over the phone. Course, I don't know what they say after I hang up. They probably :lol2: and say "It was Dick again honey". And I have the owner at the salebarn that will answer any question I have. He says" The more informed you are means better cattle at the sales, job security you know". And this website. I can ask any question and get an answer WITHOUT looks :D . Really great information coming from you men and women. I really appreciate it. Like I said, just thought i would chime in with that and give thanks to ya'll.

Thanks Again
Dick

A good mentor is worth their weight in gold. I'm fortunate to have a pretty good one. I'm also thankful for all the people on this board and all the contributions everyone makes. Lots of info, and sometimes different answers to one question. Variety of ideas and experiences to draw from. icandoit, enjoy the cattle, live the life.

Katherine

Nah, that's me at 30, rough life. Really, I don't know who it is. I picked it up somewhere. I'm thinking that someone sent it to me and I redid it in Photoshop and Image Ready. I think it's pretty neat though.

Dick

Morning' all, I've always felt that the dumbest question is the one not asked.Having a mentor or mentors is a great thing.I've been at it a good long time, and still have plenty of questions to ask.The fellows I call on when I have a question, I believe get kind of flattered that you respect them for their knowledge.I think that exists here on these boards.Now I have found that a lot of the younger guys 'round here look me up when they have problem, I'm 44 and I know that i really enjoy being their mentor.I also know as you go down this road of life, you can learn a lot as from older folks (I may get picked at this one) Because they've been there and done that! Keep at it, you'll do fine!

The thing to remember is that mentors come in all shapes and sizes (that from Jeanne in a discussion we had). They don;t have to have a direct affect on cattle, or any other particular subject. It can be as simple as an idea that gets planted or support when things are crappy. We all have lives outside of the cattle. Raising kids, the family dog, whatever. And there are those that serve the funtion of mentors without either party knowing it.

dun

dun":2sqk0q92 said:
The thing to remember is that mentors come in all shapes and sizes (that from Jeanne in a discussion we had). They don;t have to have a direct affect on cattle, or any other particular subject. It can be as simple as an idea that gets planted or support when things are crappy. We all have lives outside of the cattle. Raising kids, the family dog, whatever. And there are those that serve the funtion of mentors without either party knowing it.

Very true, and their herds can come in all sizes too. Just because a man doesn't have momma cows in the 100's doesn't mean he's ignorant about them. Especially if he's been at it all his life. Maybe he's made a big part of his living off 50 cows or less. And maybe he's lived within his means, which might not look too impressive from the road. But he'll know what he's doing.

Craig-TX

It should go without saying but I'll say it anyway. You women know that when I said "man" I was not being chauvinistic. Women can (and do) hold their own with men in this business. This board proves it.

Craig-TX