A Good Burger Part II

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo

Reaction score
Let's talk about that good burger catching on fire again....

I had the opportunity to cook burgers for about 40 head last weekend and due to running low on my own beef, I did the ultimate taboo and bought some 80/20 ground chuck from an unnamed grocery store.

Cooked in the normal way, however, after a few minutes on the grill, these burgers couldn't do anything but catch on fire from all of the grease in them.

The outside diameter shrank, the height grew taller, and talk about greasy, these things were greasy! These burgers were juicy, they tasted good, they dribbled down your chin when you ate them, just like everyone liked.

However...... compared to my beef and my normal burgers, the taste just was not there. Everyone raved about how tasty and juicy they were, but until you eat real beef, you just don't know what a burger is.

To feed my family, I'll just stick to my own beef that retains its shape well, doesn't catch on fire, and makes a darn good burger that tastes just like steak!

Nothing like your own "fresh" hamburger. Anything else off the meat counter is...is...I don't know, but definitely different. Maybe it is the old cow instead of young calf difference. If I prosessed a beef for myself, it would be for the hamburger.

I'm just sitting here thinking :oops: How long it's been since I had store bought burger. :? Or restaurant burger for that matter.
I really have grown to like my home grown stuff.
I still like it to catch fire. Actually it's not the burger that catches fire it's the drippings. 8) :cowboy:

mnmtranching":3gyubgsn said:
Actually it's not the burger that catches fire it's the drippings. 8) :cowboy:

Are you having extra fat added to your hamburger meat when processing? My butcher wanted to do that to mine, told me "you'll get a lot more meat", but I don't see it that way. I get the same amount of meat, in more packages, with more fat.

My burgers don't drip enough fat to catch fire.

grannysoo":1md9s2jx said:
mnmtranching":1md9s2jx said:

Are you having extra fat added to your hamburger meat when processing? My butcher wanted to do that to mine, told me "you'll get a lot more meat", but I don't see it that way. I get the same amount of meat, in more packages, with more fat.

That's what makes high end beef so tasty, the marbling. Fat. I had the butcher add good fat to make 80% lean. A good butcher should know the difference in the tallow.
Most people want the 90%. I have decided for grilling I favor the 80%

grannysoo":3ni9473g said:
mnmtranching":3ni9473g said:

My daughter is extremely picky when it comes to beef. She will not eat store bought meat. She, at the age of 10, got in a discussion with a woman who is an organic fanatic who said she wouldn't eat anything but grassfed organically raised cattle. She complained to my daughter about the fat drippings and all the other things but I must say (as I hid in the shadows and listened) my daughter stood her ground and courteously countered each of the woman's arguments. I was so proud of her and I think the cattleman's association would have been too. :nod:

Oh, to keep the cheap burger from turing into meatballs, stick your finger in the center of them and they are not so bad to rise.

Jogeephus":18xiox3s said:
Oh, to keep the cheap burger from turing into meatballs, stick your finger in the center of them and they are not so bad to rise.

I do that on all of the burgers that hit the grill, fat or not.

So...... I guess the general opinion is that most like the 20% or so fat burgers? Then most of you probably wouldn't like my steakburgers.

I find that it is better to drink my beer than use it to put out the fires started by rendering fat. Limousin Lean no fires, great taste.

Red Bull Breeder":mhty7pqs said:
I find that it is better to drink my beer than use it to put out the fires started by rendering fat. Limousin Lean no fires, great taste.
Thats another reason I like ya Red bull you drink good beer too
I always wait to answer if I am asked if I want a beer till I see what is in the cooler