a good breed

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

hi i have 20 acers ,i know its not much,but i wanted to get maybe 5 to 10 cows. i live in western pa what would you recomend to be the most profitable cow,i want something bread well.i subscribe to cattle today and i really like the look of the ballencers .im not in it to make a lot of money nor do i want to loose alot of money. i just want to breed a nice looking cow that will turn heads and pay for it self .thank you very much for any replies,mark.

[email protected]

5 to 10 cows on 20 acres seems like an awfully high stocking rate. Check with your local county ag. agent for recommendations of how many head can work. With Managment Intensive Grazing (MIG) you may be able to achieve it but it still seems high. Type, quality and quantity of forage are all part of the equation. If you find a type of cattle that appeal to you, that is the first and maybe the most important decision. Ballancer cows bred to angus bulls should provide excellent calves. But, nearly any breed or X-breed cattle can do the same if you start with quality animals and breed them to quality bulls. For marketing in your area, check with the venue you plan on using to sell your calves. Be it private treaty sales, sale barn, direct to the feeder, etc., that will tell you what breed/cross, or color is most in demand. When you select your cows, one of, if not the most important thing to look for is disposition, all other attributes are worthless if they aren't easily handled. Sorry to go on at such length.

dunmovin farms

> hi i have 20 acers ,i know its not
> much,but i wanted to get maybe 5
> to 10 cows. i live in western pa
> what would you recomend to be the
> most profitable cow,i want
> something bread well.i subscribe
> to cattle today and i really like
> the look of the ballencers .im not
> in it to make a lot of money nor
> do i want to loose alot of money.
> i just want to breed a nice
> looking cow that will turn heads
> and pay for it self .thank you
> very much for any replies,mark.

5-10 head on 20 acres could be fine if you are planning to feed hay in the winter. You would want to check this with your local extension agent, however. For a small herd you are on the right track looking at quality x-breds. Another you may want to investigate is the Optimizer (Saler/Angus)as the calving ease may be a little better than the balancer.

[email protected]

>Mark you need to really clarify your goals more. If you want cows to turn heads your going to have to feed them heavy to maximize their genitics and if you want to make them pay their own way thet are going to look rough much of the year. I'm running 10 to 15 mamas on 25 acres in eastern ohio but I custom bale a lot of horse hay so they get the junk and wet stuff. Any breed out there has enough diversity that youn can find cattle at the opposite ends of the spectrum to fit your needs. Just stay away from show animals at first because most of them come from a real management intensive enviroment I'm running Murray Greys because they have a reputation for calving ease and as medium framed animals they are pretty efficient