A good beginner's book

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I know just enough about cattle to be dangerous, as witnessed by some of my questions. About a year ago, I ran across a book called: "A Guide to Raising Beef Cattle" by Heather Smith Thomas. The book is such an easy read and so full of information, I bought one for my father who has been ranching for over fifty years! He reads "The BOOK" constantly, as does my mother. When I started reading the book and found the Foreword written by Baxter Black, I KNEW that I had a treasure. The questions I post aren't due to Heather's misinformation, because none of us have found any... it is due more to my not understanding EVERYTHING. I am a hard learner, but Heather's book has kept a lot of mistakes being made on our ranch and made crisises more manageable. Omak

[email protected]

The last sentence should have read: "A lot of mistakes NOT being made on our ranch"... catch you later, since I am on my way back out to the barn to check on my over-conditioned heifer.... BUMMER! Omak

[email protected]

> I have the book and its my bible, along with this board! Its a wonderful and very informative book. I recommend it to anyone with one cow or a big herd.

The last sentence should have
> read: "A lot of mistakes NOT
> being made on our ranch"...
> catch you later, since I am on my
> way back out to the barn to check
> on my over-conditioned heifer....
> BUMMER! Omak

[email protected]

It's an excellent book and the one I recommend to rookies. But, there is a world of other information out there that will add to the information in the book. Most of the Ag Universities have web pages with tons of information/data, all you have to do is log on and read. TX A&M, U of CO, U of MO, FL State, NC State all have great information.

dunmovin farms

> I know just enough about cattle to
> be dangerous, as witnessed by some
> of my questions. About a year ago,
> I ran across a book called:
> "A Guide to Raising Beef
> Cattle" by Heather Smith
> Thomas. The book is such an easy
> read and so full of information, I
> bought one for my father who has
> been ranching for over fifty
> years! He reads "The