A Free Way to Get Cows Bred?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt

Reaction score
Here is an ad from a guy looking for the use of grazing land in exchange for the use of his polled Hereford bull. He says there is just the bull and two heifers that will be grazing.

This is near Waco. This seems like an easy way to get cows bred. A Hereford bull is also very versatile for breeding. What do you think?

https://killeen.craigslist.org/grd/d/po ... 47447.html

Bullitt":1p6rjmfe said:
M-5":1p6rjmfe said:
easy way for a lawsuit too,

Do you mean if the bull is carrying a disease?

disease is always a chance but Say you take possession of the bull and he dies .....He has already said he wouldn't sell it and all of a sudden the value of that animal 10 20 or 30K if your lucky and he will sue you because the bull was in your care. A contract might make the transaction easier but I would be very leary .

M-5":1yb8w3u8 said:
Bullitt":1yb8w3u8 said:
M-5":1yb8w3u8 said:
easy way for a lawsuit too,

Do you mean if the bull is carrying a disease?

disease is always a chance but Say you take possession of the bull and he dies .....He has already said he wouldn't sell it and all of a sudden the value of that animal 10 20 or 30K if your lucky and he will sue you because the bull was in your care. A contract might make the transaction easier but I would be very leary .
Doubt he'd look that good, after my gals were finished with him..

Bullitt":hjr5nxv0 said:
Here is an ad from a guy looking for the use of grazing land in exchange for the use of his polled Hereford bull. He says there is just the bull and two heifers that will be grazing.

This is near Waco. This seems like an easy way to get cows bred. A Hereford bull is also very versatile for breeding. What do you think?

You keep going with your free Bulls, and cheap Longhorns.. You'll be in the cattle business for pennies on the dollar... :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":yl6gvzcq said:
Bullitt":yl6gvzcq said:

You keep going with your free Bulls, and cheap Longhorns.. You'll be in the cattle business for pennies on the dollar... :cowboy:

Well, the idea is to have the largest net return as possible. If the cows do not cost much and I can find a way to breed those cows for free, I will be ahead of the game. Then when steers are sold I could purchase a bull, if needed. Or I could find another free opportunity.

Take the cows down the road when they're in heat and let them in with the first bull you find. Used to be popular practice with those that had a few milk cows, not so with the bull owners so you might want to do this after dark.

Go to the salebarn and buy a cheap killer bull. Get him tric and semen tested if he's bad carry him back and try again. I've carried allot of good bulls to the salebarn. Inexpensive option

I had a deal for a few years with a life time friend. I fall calve and he spring calve. He would take the Bulls in the spring and I would take them in the fall. While we had different breeds we both had good cross breeds to sell and yet enough straight Breda for replacements. I did have one bull struck by lightning at his place that assumed responsibility for. It could have happened at home just as easily. This cut cost of bulls for both of us and got better use of Bulls. We both have closed herds and good vaccination programs.

Bullitt":1tycv0ll said:
Here is an ad from a guy looking for the use of grazing land in exchange for the use of his polled Hereford bull.
He says there is just the bull and two heifers that will be grazing.

This is near Waco. This seems like an easy way to get cows bred. A Hereford bull is also very versatile for breeding.
What do you think?

Sounds like the good deal you've been looking for and would work for you.
Meet with him in person to see if he's someone you'd feel comfortable dealing with and discuss both or your
expectations. Could be a win-win for you both. Good Luck

That's an option if you like dealing with people. Would visit with them and get contract. If not a people person I would buy best bull at sale barn for $1 per lb, have him tested, and send him back to sale when through with use. :2cents:

go to the sale and buy a yearling bull, breed your cows and then put it on craigslist as a proven breeder. buy it for $900 and sell it for $1200

I do not like the idea of being a partner with someone or being liable if the bull dies.

I do like the idea of buying a yearling bull, breeding the bull, and then selling the bull. This makes a lot of sense, because you make a little money at the same time.

It's not free, the bull and the 2 heifers will be consuming your forage, that could potentially be feeding an additional 2-3 pairs of your own. I assume he wants them to be there for a 6-7 month grazing season (IDK what the typical grazing season near Waco is) rather than just 60 days or so.

Bullitt":11818v24 said:
I do not like the idea of being a partner with someone or being liable if the bull dies.
Then rent him the pasture for the summer for $1 with your cows in it and he accepts risk and any vet costs for his
animals and you for yours.

Allenw":3ihk70le said:
Take the cows down the road when they're in heat and let them in with the first bull you find. Used to be popular practice with those that had a few milk cows, not so with the bull owners so you might want to do this after dark.
I had a neighbor on the back side of dad's place that did this for years. He had a small place with 4 cows on it. He would let the fence down when one of his cows came in heat let dad's bull in. A couple of days later he would run dad's bull back home. He always took good care of the border fence between him and dad so he never minded this arrangement.

Latest posts