A few SA recipes for I luv Herfs

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I'll start with a leg of lamb roast and shall add a few more when I have time. Hopefully AlisonB will chime in with a few of her recipes.

Roast leg of lamb

Season the the leg of lamb with salt and pepper and put it in a ziplock freezer bag. Add a handfull of fresh rosemary leafs, a few cloves of garlic and about 2 cups of Greek Vinaigrette (any oil based vinaigrette will do, I just prefer Greek and usually buy Knorr brand, not sure if you have it in the USA). Suck all the air out and close the Ziplock bag, leave to marinade overnight in the fridge.

Roast the leg of lamb surrounded by uncooked, peeled potatoes in a covered casserole at 400F untill the internal temperature is about 160F for medium, allow to rest for 15 minutes carve and serve. I usually add a bit of meat rub about halfway through the cooking process as well. While the meat is resting fry the now cooked potatoes in the meats juices till brown all over. Serve with mint sauce and veggies and rice to enjoy the rich meaty gravy.

That sounds good. Will it work with lamb shoulder? That is pretty much all I have left out of 3 lambs.

I want to get a couple at the 4-H sale, but the hubby said no. :(

I luv herfrds":1k9q6jio said:
That sounds good. Will it work with lamb shoulder? That is pretty much all I have left out of 3 lambs.

I want to get a couple at the 4-H sale, but the hubby said no. :(

yes it will work for any roast.

Geesh, it took you long enough Knersie. :lol2:

Knorr is popular here too. Sounds good, now if I can only get hubby to eat lamb, he only like it as schworma.

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming. :tiphat:

hillsdown":19u5pei7 said:

Knorr is popular here too. Sounds good, now if I can only get hubby to eat lamb, he only like it as schworma.

What the h--- is schworma?

3waycross":3kj5mh66 said:
hillsdown":3kj5mh66 said:

What the h--- is schworma?

Its a schwarma, also called a dohner kebab

It's called a few different things depending on where you are. Shawarma ,schwarma, donner, dohner.

You can use many different meats but we like the way the Israeli's do it using lamb. It is seasoned and slow roasted on a spit and as it roasts you carve pieces off, they are served in a pita or on a plate with just on a bed of lettuce and you top it with the most amazing sauces, like whiskey sauce and garlic sauce. No cheese and no veggies.

Holland has the most amazing shwarma restaurants and kiosks and Amsterdam is flooded with them they are usually always owned and run bu Israeli's. YUMM that is reason in itself to go to visit the inlaws, and is usually are first stop to eat when we get there.

If you come across a place that serves the real stuff not pork or chicken you have to try it.. :)

How about some traditional beef or pork recipes Knersie, my FIL is coming the middle of the month and I want to serve him something different. Lamb is sometimes hard to get here usually it is rack of lamb or chops ,I don't know why as there are alot of sheep farmers in Alberta.

I de-boned the lamb shoulder because it wouldn't fit in the ziplock bag.
Here are the family reviews.
Yum from Mr. ILH. This is good from the daughter. Make it again from the son.

It was a great hit. Thanks for the recipe Knersie. :D :D :D :D

my friend just gave me a big boneless leg of lamb. I'll try your recipe. She said to make sure you have in on a rack so the dripping don't touch the meat. I've never made lamb before so we'll see what happens.

Shawarma. So that's what it was. I was in Chicago a long time ago and stumbled onto a small stand with a vertical rotisserie that had a big chunk of lamb on it. It was delicious. Sure wish there was a place around here that made it.

Well, I made the leg of lamb on Monday. I couldn't find that marinade so used a nice conglomeration of spices and roasted it to 155-160*. I'd say we all liked it okay, but prbly not enough to do it very often.