A few random pictures from my first week on the new job.

Help Support CattleToday:

andybob

Reaction score
Click on thumbnail to enlarge pictures.

Traditional Angus bull

Angus weaners

Traditional cow with calves

Traditional Hereford bull

View of beef barns.

Jerseys in yard at mlking parlour

Water Buffalo in yards at milking parlour.

Buffalo calf.

Jersey calves

Commercial sow in farrowing paddock.

Middle White sows (Rare breed)

Miniature Kune Kune sow

Buffalo in paddock

Wild boar in boar paddock.

Saddleback sow with weaners.

Chicken Arc (Still inside due to cold!)

The angus looks pretty good, but there is room for improvement on the hereford bull.

KNERSIE":3ktqsuru said:
The angus looks pretty good, but there is room for improvement on the hereford bull.

There is a better bull off farm at the moment I will get some better all round pictures later. The problem is that there are so few true native Hereford left, and the program is aimed at preserving the pure genetics, and producing cattle that perform entirely off grass and minerals.

I like the Angus, that's the style I like. Does the cow have twins? What is your job? Are you working with traditional/heirloom breeds?

I really like the Water Buffalo but then again I have an American Buffalo.
I assume the place raises them for Mozarella?
I really hope to have one myself in another 2 years!

LoveMoo11":2ikkp75k said:
I like the Angus, that's the style I like. Does the cow have twins? What is your job? Are you working with traditional/heirloom breeds?

I am livestock manager there are a variety of enterprises on the estate which are seperately managed but interlinked. The pure strains are being preserved for posterity and to have a gene pool for reference, we supply semen to some herds in the USA and Canada which are grass based, as the traditionals still thrive on grass and minerals, and have a reputation for flavour and succulence for which we are paid a premium by restaurants, and via the farm shops, we will soon be marketing through the high end supermarket here. We have rare breeds of sheep, pigs and poultry, all with the emphasis on flavour and quality. The calves are singles from the cow in the picture and another one in the barn at the time.

B&L Longhorn Ranch":3ve68bpu said:
I really like the Water Buffalo but then again I have an American Buffalo.
I assume the place raises them for Mozarella?
I really hope to have one myself in another 2 years!

We are making Mozarella and selling fresh milk, the ice-cream will soon be marketed. I have no experience with Bison, but had wild Cape Buffalo on my ranch in Rhodesia, really hard on fences, but little trouble most of the time!

Latest posts