A few photos from today

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I love calving time it just makes me happy!

This is a first calf heifer out of Gizmo EXT 1246 658 6149 and Gizmo Bridget 1256 937 9R9 who is a daughter of 658. Someone smarter than me could explain the % of line breeding that is but I am not that smart. I just like the heifer and she looks pretty sporty. I didn't want to get to close and spook the calf but it is a heifer out of OCC Missing Link that weighed 65 pounds.

The calf nursing is a Coleman Charlo 0256 the heifer is out of a cow we flushed Gizmo Pride C15 0709 6106 this heifer has been a favorite since birth. I am excited to see what her flush sister does. The calf out front out of Nichols Extra K205.

Set of twin Charlo bull calves born three weeks early to a first calf heifer C34 that is out of SAV Blackcap May 1325 X SAV Priority 7283. I confess the dam of these two cuties was not on my favorite list. I would have placed her about the middle of the pack but she has sure impressed me with the way she mothered up to these twins not to mention the beautiful udder. She has impressed me.

Gizmo Blackcap May C34 1325 7283

The heifer pen is fixing to crank up as far as new babies I imagine the weekend will be busy weighing and tagging.

gizmom

Thanks Elk

If you get a chance check out our Friend and Partner's sale catalog http://www.angusjournal.com/salebooks/upchurch101417api/#page/5 The lot 1B and 1C are out of the 913 cow we purchased last year. We are pretty excited about this cow and the impact she will have on our program. Her 2017 bull calf out of Regard arrived at the Midland Bull test this week.

gizmom

Thanks for the kind words, I hope you folks know how much I enjoy having other folks to talk about cows with! I love the cattle business and the cattle and just enjoy being able to share with folks that have the same passion I have. Our partner Jason posted a video of our 913 cow. I have to tell you I never dreamed we would own any part of a cow like this when I saw this video I needed to pinch myself to insure I wasn't just dreaming it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWzArXd ... _YNt3ECC83

She is without a doubt the most powerful cow that has ever walked in our pasture. I am so excited to know I will be putting in a large group of her embryos this January.

gizmom

Thanks Grit you saw her back in January she had just calved about 20 days prior to your visit. I haven't seen her since we delivered her to Jason to start flushing the calf was only about 6 weeks old. She does move really well for carrying the mass she has.

Southern
We used K205 when he first came on the market I had to send the last of the daughters we had to the sale barn last year she was 13 or 14. I had two straws left in the tank so decided to try to make a replacement. Both straws took and we had the 2nd calf today a heifer! So hopefully she will make my replacement. I love the length of body, both the heifers we used him on needed a little more milk at least numbers wise.

gizmom

Awesome cow. Nice udder. She is a program changer. She makes what I call deep wide heavy cows look average.

Today we are getting prepared for a hurricane I had hoped we were finished with them for the year, but mother nature has a way of letting you know we are not in charge. Today is our actual due date for ET calves and our due date for AI work on the mature cows is the 10th and 12th. This low pressure system could sure throw a bunch of them into labor. I expect tomorrow will be busy weighing and tagging. I have always said you really don't know how good a cow is until you get daughters in production. That being said I have also said I pick first on pedigree and phenotype followed by numbers. The boss and I selected a cow back in 2014 that we felt had the pedigree and the numbers to make a donor cow. She calved a bull calf that was pretty good and we flushed her to our 6149 bull. Since then we have flushed her twice once to Resource and once to Charlo 0256. The first flush produced 4 eggs all four stuck, we used one of the bulls natural service last year and put 17 eggs into recips. Two days ago the only heifer calf produced out of the first flush calved. She had a heifer out of Charlo. I took a couple of photos

I think for a first calf heifer she looks pretty dang good. Needless to say we have put a lot of faith into her dam so I would be in a world of hurt if it had turned out bad. So far we have five ET Charlo calves on the ground one heifer and two Resource calves a bull and a heifer. We have 9 to go based on palpation but it is manual palpation so not a perfect science. We also have 17 calves due to the flush brother of the heifer pictured so I think that is going to work pretty well as well.

The C15 is another first calf heifer she is out of our old 0709 cow a BC Matrix daughter and Wulff's EXT 6106 the bull calf is a Charlo. We put another embryo in and have a full sister in blood on the ground, that gives me three full sisters out of this mating which is what I hoped for. These are going to make really good cows.

gizmom

Latest posts