A few of our weaned heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We run our heifers on some lease property on the north end of our county. We made a run out to the lease property to check out the weaned heifers today after church. I had not been out to see them but once since we weaned them so I really enjoyed seeing them today. They are in belly deep grass and growing really well, we started calving the first of Oct and last year our season was 73 days so that is max age difference in this group.

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

The last shot is a heifer that I like a bunch, her dam is a 12 year old cow that has done a really good job for us, and she is out of our Coleman EXT 6149 bull.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

We are about as far NW as you can go in Florida and still call it FL. We tell folks we are from LA (lower Alabama) the first part of the summer was real dry but the thunder storms have kicked in and brought us some much needed moisture. Our lake at the main farm is still down about 4 ft. Low but the grass is growing and that is a huge blessing. I pray that you folks in drought areas will get some rain soon!

Gizmom
http://Www.gizmoangus.com

Nice calves... God, what my cows would do to have grass like that! Drought had wiped most pastures out up here.. :cry2:

I find it interesting that some haven't "slicked", especially by this time of year.

SS

We were commenting on the hair when we looked at them. We will be studying the genetics of those that haven't shed and figure out what is going on. In our heat they need to go ahead and shed. We worked the heifers bull counterparts last week (got weights) and wormed. We always pull them up to get a handle on how they are growing after we pull them away from mamma. The bulls are weighing really good with an average weight of about 700lbs. Most of the bull calves have shed out pretty good.

Gizmom

those are 9 mo old hiefers? really? if thats what yer telling me thats some oustanding cattle right there...or i just cant look at pics..cuz they look much older to me

I just counted it up and I promise it only took nine fingers lol. Maybe the picture makes them look bigger than they are. I really like them as a group there is a total of 28 of them some more powerful than others but top to bottom a nice set if I do say so myself. At least I am proud of them.

Gizmom
http://Www.gizmoangus.com

Those are some outstanding looking heifers. Nice depth to them. Great looking field.
I think they look taller and bigger than than they are just judging by the grass. Hard to say though without something else there for scale.
What would you say the avg weight of the heifers is gizmom?

We haven't run them over the scales since they were weaned that was the first of may at that time their average weight was around 550 so I would guess these calves are weighing 600-650. I think they look bigger in the pictures than they actually are. We are growing them out on grass and we are keeping a protein block and minerals in front of them so they are not lacking for anything.

Gizmom

Protein block out even during peak grass?
I really like all the pictures of your animals.

hooknline,
There are probably grazing a type of bahia, kinda washy low protein grass. A protein tub is a great idea for developing heifers in our environment. I call it our environment because Gizmom and I are in the same county.

Gizmom,
Nice heifers, not surprising to me.

Bahia is only maybe 2 points lower in protein. I only ask because it's the first time Ive heard of supplementing protein during the summer months here. But Everyone I know is running commercial cow calf herds.

DSCF0017.jpg

Here is one of some of the heifers at the water trough. I thought having the trough would give you something for a size reference. I don't think they look as big in this picture.

Gizmom

Latest posts