A few more ranch & cattle pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Ned Jr.

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a few more pictures. Hope everyone enjoys them. Again, a few of you may have already seen some of these.

IMG_0503.jpg

This is the same bull as the bull calf above a year later. The picture was taken after we pulled him from 37 of our commercial cows. He was the only bull in the pasture and only one cow came up open. I felt he did alright for just a yearling bull.

IMG_1268.jpg

A couple action shots.

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

935.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

Bulls.

IMG_1058.jpg

picturesfromtheoldcomputer001.jpg

A ten year old cow.

IMG_0890.jpg

Hayfields in the spring.

IMG_0851.jpg

PC260016.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Heifers

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

P4110006.jpg

P4100025.jpg

I am not a hereford fan, but I cannot find fault in your cattle. Some of the better bulls I have seen on here. The land scape is beautiful.

Ned Jr., thank you for sharing your pictures. They are just beautiful. The cattle, the country....amazing visuals. Those Hereford babies playing in the snow is pure joy captured.
Thanks again.

Ned you have some very nice bulls and you can see the breeding in the cows and calves. Congratulations one such a nice herd.

i dont say this very often.but you have 1 heck of a set of hereford cows.an you have some bulls that are meat wagons.an your young bull looks real good.

Outstanding cattle and beautiful scenery, with that view I might just be able to tolerate the cold.

Are rednecks something you select for or is it just coincidence in the bulls?

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoy looking at them.

KNERSIE":2f0tn3uh said:
Outstanding cattle and beautiful scenery, with that view I might just be able to tolerate the cold.

Are rednecks something you select for or is it just coincidence in the bulls?

Thanks KNERSIE. I do prefer rednecks but I've used quite a few bulls with feathers also. It seems like some of my costumers say they want lots of chrome and others want them as red as they can get them. I decided to go with what I like and breed for extra red and pigment. It helps if the cows have extra red around their udders and their eyes with all the wind and snow we get. I like cows with tight bags and even some pigment on their udders if possible, sunburned bags are no fun to deal with. I select for bulls with red scrotums also.

and even some pigment on their udders if possible, sunburned bags are no fun to deal with. I select for bulls with red scrotums also.

There is the belief that there is a strong correlation between pigmented teats and scrotums and the consistancy those cattle will breed pigmented eyes in there offspring. Never seen any research on that or for that matter much consistancy in my own herd, but it certainly is the popular belief here. Have you noticed anything that could confirm this?

KNERSIE":280gb5a9 said:
and even some pigment on their udders if possible, sunburned bags are no fun to deal with. I select for bulls with red scrotums also.

There is the belief that there is a strong correlation between pigmented teats and scrotums and the consistancy those cattle will breed pigmented eyes in there offspring. Never seen any research on that or for that matter much consistancy in my own herd, but it certainly is the popular belief here. Have you noticed anything that could confirm this?

It seems like when you have a real red marked Hereford the red carries all over the animal. I have had some red necks with red scrotum's and no pigment around their eyes but most often they have some. The pigment on the teats seems to be the hardest thing to achieve. But if the udder is up between the legs like they should be the legs provide shade to help prevent sunburn.

Great pics! Dang that bull on the left in pic #4 is long. :D

KMacGinley":2vlxxigp said:
Louis Lamour country, The Sackets hung out in those mountains quite a bit if I remember right. Very impressive photos.
Mac-

You are absolutely correct! This IS Louis Lamour country. It is the Wet Mountain Valley West of Pueblo, CO and part of the Rockies (The Sangre de Christo Mountain Range - which means "Blood of Christ") that I taught Agriculture in years ago! And, if you wish to join me in a dream, the origin of the "Sacketts" and their migration to the United States follows almost exactly where my forebears came from! ...and about the same time, too! I have the entire collection of Louis Lamour's books, and ALL of the Sackets' books, too. Feels like home to me.

...and Ned, thank you for showing your absolutely terrific cattle again!! They are some of the best Hereford's I have seen lately, - - - or even LONGER than lately! Don't be a stranger.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts