A few in this bunch over 800

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
That red homegrown bull I call Mutant produced some tonnage in calves his first year.

Very nice! I like the cow on the right in the second and third picture. Are they all registered or commercial? Just curious.

Thank you, they are commercial. This heard is mostly old cows from our reg. sims and simbras. The 3rd pictured cow is a angus though. This herd is the left over old mismatched cows..

Thank you.....He made some really nice heifers too. This bull really got around last year. Wouldn't stay in the bull pasture, the other bulls ganged up on him. He ended up in the big herd and produced 8 out of season calves in cows who didn't breed in our regular season. Then, somehow one popped up out of season in another herd. We were like, WTH. My daughter also got a calf out of him in another herd....lol...
To fix this, we put him in the bull pasture first when we took him off the cows, then added other bulls slowly. He's saying now. He got added last the year before and the other bulls just did not like him. So far so good, he's staying this year...

Nice calves. Like the bottom two cows really well. You have a program that seems to be working well for you. We retained one bull calf last year out of a bred registered cow I bought and another this year out of a cow whose family has been good producers for us. A little shorthorn in the last one. Basically don't want to pay 6-8 thousand for the type of bull we feel we want. Also using bulls that are related to our cows and not complete out crosses hopefully will help with uniformity.

We go through a lot of bulls. I wont say it never happens, but we'll run up to 5 bulls in a herd and if one bull is related to a couple cows, the likelihood of him breeding them is so low. This red bull was just outstanding in his growth. Wished he were black, but when you get the giant weaners out of him, color doesn't matter much. This is his first full crop and I know there are at least 4 pushing 800....the rest are well over 600...We'll keep most heifers out of him this year. Last year he managed to produce a few, and we kept the 2 heifers out of him. They are now bred for a spring calf and are as big as most of our mature cows. The only way we'd not keep them is if they produced small to average weanlings... They have to wean a 6+ calf for their size. Luckily, they are short cows and not the long legged simbra type...

We hauled off all the steers off this herd yesterday. There were 19, born between March to May. Weight average 651... All sold excellent...When I saw my husband walking out the door with the check with a big smile, priceless. After the 30 cent debacle a few weeks ago, I needed this. Most were grouped and bought by just a few buyers. Colors were from lite red, brindle and black....all grouped in mixed colors. So, doesn't matter the color, just matters if its a good meaty calf...FYI, big calves are hot right now.....

They look like dandy calves. Do you have a recent pic of the bull? I saved a few of our ai bull calves from last fall, and I am looking forward to seeing how they do.

cowgirl8":376pf9wa said:
We hauled off all the steers off this herd yesterday. There were 19, born between March to May. Weight average 651... All sold excellent...When I saw my husband walking out the door with the check with a big smile, priceless. After the 30 cent debacle a few weeks ago, I needed this. Most were grouped and bought by just a few buyers. Colors were from lite red, brindle and black....all grouped in mixed colors. So, doesn't matter the color, just matters if its a good meaty calf...FYI, big calves are hot right now.....
Glad they sold well for you. Did you get docked a few weeks ago or what?

We sold some odds and ends from our heifers. Most were really small so we kept them for a while. One had a hump in his back, apparently they don't taste as good...lol...brought less per pound than a old bag of bones cow.....

Lazy M":1j9d6x4j said:
They look like dandy calves. Do you have a recent pic of the bull? I saved a few of our ai bull calves from last fall, and I am looking forward to seeing how they do.
Against my better judgment, but since he's proven to be a producer and his calves bring prime money his first year, i'll post a picture of him now... I'll ignore the comments, not asking suggestions, critiques, or opinions.... Not the best looking bull, but when every steer he produced Feb to May averaged 651 on the same day, who could argue his productivity...

I guess when you have enough land and cows you can run a pos like him for a bull. You must of had him covering some really nice looking cows.

True Grit Farms":3ia9fta3 said:
I guess when you have enough land and cows you can run a pos like him for a bull. You must of had him covering some really nice looking cows.
As the old saying goes "The proof is in the pudding". Hard to argue with those results. POS is not necessarily an obvious trait. I've seen some POS calves come from some out of this world cattle "ON PAPER".

TexasBred":1t2rfcvu said:
True Grit Farms":1t2rfcvu said:
As the old saying goes "The proof is in the pudding". Hard to argue with those results. POS is not necessarily an obvious trait. I've seen some POS calves come from some out of this world cattle "ON PAPER".
I agree 100% TB, good bulls of any color or breed are cheap right now. I just don't understand the logic.

cowgirl8":dgizwyga said:
Lazy M":dgizwyga said:
Against my better judgment, but since he's proven to be a producer and his calves bring prime money his first year, i'll post a picture of him now... I'll ignore the comments, not asking suggestions, critiques, or opinions.... Not the best looking bull, but when every steer he produced Feb to May averaged 651 on the same day, who could argue his productivity...

Thanks for sharing the pic. His progeny prove he is a good sire. He isn't fat and isn't a bad bull at all in the pic. I've looked at a lot worse that were top AI bred and from some of the top programs in the nation. He reminds me some of the sire of the bull I retained. He is a HD son. He is one of the top performance sires of HD. He doesn't impress you with his looks but his progeny do. I base my view on what a bull sires. And your bull has proved he is a sire. I would like to see the bulls these breeders who call him a POS have in similar condition. I don't post a pic of my cattle because I know what I need to perform well in my condition and I don't need someone who has likely never fed a pen of cattle telling me what will work here in my program and environment.

TexasBred":6wcl1y11 said:
True Grit Farms":6wcl1y11 said:

Same here and why I judge a sire on what he produces not what a piece of paper says or how he looks with several hundred pounds of white muscle on him. Like I stated in another post if he is a POS I want to see pics of the bulls and their progeny they consider to be top sires. This bull appears to be sound. Something that is increasingly hard to find anymore.

cowgirl8":26b73zx7 said:
Lazy M":26b73zx7 said:

Not a bad looking bull, and as you point out he's now a proven producer of good calves

Latest posts