A few hereford pics

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
26 month old bull in working clothes. Was with the cows till 10 November on the veld, has been on good pasture since.
100_4997.jpg

100_5013.jpg

You almost count every vaccination he's had in his life by looking just behind his shoulder.
100_5018.jpg

Second calver with her 7 month old bullcalf. Photo quality is very poor it was just about dark when it was taken, had to enhance it to make the cattle visible
100_5021.jpg

thats 1 heck of a hereford bull you have there.an that heifer is a calf raiser thats for sure.she is earning her place in the herd with a bull calf like that.

KNERSIE":12giwpgg said:
26 month old bull in working clothes. Was with the cows till 10 November on the veld, has been on good pasture since.
100_4997.jpg

100_5013.jpg

You almost count every vaccination he's had in his life by looking just behind his shoulder.
100_5018.jpg

Second calver with her 7 month old bullcalf. Photo quality is very poor it was just about dark when it was taken, had to enhance it to make the cattle visible
100_5021.jpg
KNERSIE-

OUTSTANDING! The bull AND the rest of the herd!

Could you describe the Forage available on the "Veld"? Would that compare to our Western Rangeland? And, what is the grass that he is on now? Are those fences adequate enough to keep the cattle in, and the local 'wildlife' out? How far 'down' South are you in South Africa? How long is your growing season there?

Fine herd of Herefords, Knersie! I see in the second picture that your young man is keeping a wary eye on his 'girls'! Perhaps he is wondering why you are depriving him of his responsibilities!!

DOC HARRIS

Looks like a good fence to me. 5 barbs and a electric. Should keep any cattle in. Does the eye problem on the young cow bother you?

Doc , when you answer a post, why do you feel it necessary to reload the pics, we can all see them on the original. Makes it very hard for those with dial up.

I hope someday I can raise a bull of that quality. Thanks for the pictures, as usual your cattle your cattle look super.

mnmtranching-

Thoughtless on my part, I guess. Sorry! I will watch that in the future. Of course it takes a long time to appear with dial up! I should have known better. Thanks for calling my attention to it.

DOC HARRIS

Knersie,

I wish there was an easy way to get some of your bull calves here. I would love to put one to work. You continually have outstanding stock. Hats off to you!

Elder Statesman":3gomdl5n said:
What is his bloodlines?

His paternal grandsire is TRM CCF Pride, his dam goes back to GK Renegade several generation back.

I like the looks of the cows in the back ground. Who are their sires?

Mostly SA genetics, some Victor influence and some Renegade influence, but nothing with foreign genetics close in the pedigree.

Does the eye problem on the young cow bother you?

No, not at all. There is some tearing as she is in a pasture with alot of thistle that irritated her eye some. They tears are dry. Its just the dirtyness from our windy dusty conditions that remains there. There is no infection at all, the white looking spot is because the photo was taken in the almost dark and that was caused by the flash. I have enough savvy to enhance the brightness of the photo, but not enough to take the red eye out. :oops:

Could you describe the Forage available on the "Veld"? Would that compare to our Western Rangeland? And, what is the grass that he is on now?

My veld is very acidic, very little grass, mostly brush and a port jackson forest where they browse the leafs. So no it can't quite be compared to your western rangeland. JHambley can probably make a better comparison as he has been here and I have never been to your western range. Just what I saw in photos and on the TV. The pasture is kikuyu and the tall grass is the remnants of the winter's rye grass. I overseed the kikuyu with rye grass and oats in March/April for winter grazing. Kikuyu is a wonderfull warm season grass and is very hardy, the hotter it gets the better it grows.

Are those fences adequate enough to keep the cattle in, and the local 'wildlife' out?

That's a loaded question :lol2: My fences need some work, but I am a cheapskate and with the vey time consuming fruit business the cattle often have to make do with what time is left for them. No fence will keep the local wildlife out and although we do have large cat predators (leopard and caracal) they aren't a problem with cattle. I have found leopard tracks not 200 yards from where I have taken the photos earlier this week.

How far 'down' South are you in South Africa? How long is your growing season there?

About an hours drive from the southernmost tip of Africa.

mnmtranching":276usncv said:
Doc , when you answer a post, why do you feel it necessary to reload the pics, we can all see them on the original. Makes it very hard for those with dial up.

I believe even the worst browsers take note that the second set of images are the same as the first ones, and will just use a copy of it, it won't (or I should say shouldn't) actually download 2 copies since the web locations of them are the same...

Nevertheless, it makes for a lot of scrolling

Knersie, that is one fine bull..., and I'm not a huge hereford fan

And the reason the bull is keeping the wary eye on what was his herd... look, there's a calf about to jump a cow, that's what he's looking at

Very good cattle Knersie. The only thing I dont like is the line back on the bull.

Do you have a problem selling line back bulls? I realize he brings alot to the table for breeding purposes,but the line back bothers me. I have some similiar heifers with the line back but not as good of quality as yours.

Still the bull looks good. JHH

As I expected, outstanding cattle. The photo of the bull is not my favorite that you've ever posted, but he is well above average regardless. That young cow.....what is her weight, and the weight of the calf at side? Regarding the eye running, black cattle's eyes sometimes run also, it's just not as noticable when it is not on a white face.

I'm guessing the line-back may not be an issue in SA as it is here. If you only knew, some of the greatest of the old time bulls were linebacks, I am told.

JHH":1a2t7tf7 said:
Very good cattle Knersie. The only thing I dont like is the line back on the bull.

Do you have a problem selling line back bulls? I realize he brings alot to the table for breeding purposes,but the line back bothers me. I have some similiar heifers with the line back but not as good of quality as yours.

Out of curiosity, what's the issue with lineback Herefords? It's just part of the paintjob!

dun":276ygabg said:
JHH":276ygabg said:

Out of curiosity, what's the issue with lineback Herefords? It's just part of the paintjob!

Basically some still got stuck with the showring whims in the USA of the 1940-1960's era. What makes it even more ridiculous is that the breed character has almost completely been ignored and subsequently lost in the last 35 years, but that little extra fleck of white is what is bothering them most.

I like classic markings as much as anyone, but petty things such as a little more white on the neck or a little white behind the shoulder on the topline doesn't even come into play when I make selection decisions.

The young cow isn't conservatively marked, if I culled based on that she would never have raised that bullcalf and I think he might have the makings of a great herdsire.

Remember classic markings according to the old USA showstandards isn't exactly the classic markings of traditional herefords.

Latest posts