A few dry cow pics

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
All these cows are halfsibs that have proven themselves and survived my culling when I changed from two calving seasons to one last year. They run on very acidic veld with absolutely no supplement, not even salt at the moment. This is as good as my natural grazing gets, unfortunately it won't stay as good for long.

0310, has produced 2 showbulls for me one of which I used as a clean up sire and probably never should have sold. If only she'll give me a heifer...
0310dry.jpg

0303, produced two heifers that I thought good enough to be used in the linebreeding program.
0303dry.jpg

0306, about half a frame size taller than the other two, has one daughter in the herd and her '06 bullcalf was on the shortlist for own use before being sold to a new customer in an area where I haven't sold other bulls yet.
0306dry.jpg

0411, one of my best cows, her '07 heifer has been retained for linebreeding and her '06 bull was used as clean up sire this year.
0411dry.jpg

This is her '06 bullcalf
100_5180.jpg

My environment is very hard on extremes and has shown very early in my breeding venture what works here and what don't, the result is a herd very uniform in size as can be seen here in a portion of the registered dry cow herd.
uniform.jpg

They are certainly not in show condition and might not be the best looking group, but they work for me and are hassle free and profitable.

Look darn good to me! Even your green pastures that may not stay that way for long looks good to me right now.

Nice looking animals and they certainly don't show any age. Looks and sounds like they are serving you well.

Congratulations on getting to the point where you can line breed.
Very nice smooth feminine group.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets those vaccination knots.

you have a fine set of hereford cows there.an they do great in your climate an hold their body score.

As usual a very fine set of cattle. And they work in your environment, which is great and what we all strive for!

The usual good looking stock. I don't understand why they would not need minerals though. The soil where I live is somewhat acidic, needing lime on a regular basis to grow anything worthwhile, the cows still consume a fair amount of minerals though.

OK I wasn't going to look but had to..Nice group Knersie..BUT all that green.. :cry2: As I look out my window to all white and cold..Have to put on my halley's now to go out and feed... :(

Thanks for the pics, great looking cattle.. :)

Happy New Year. :tiphat:

I always look forward to new posts of your cattle! Great as usual. I think you are already where a lot of us would like to be with your herd.

Regarding vaccination lumps; my cattle get them when I vaccinate also, but my uncle(who's been in the cattle business for most of his sixty some years)has told me that if you will give all the shots intramuscularly, jabbing straight in-then backing the needle out a fraction-you won't get the knots.

KNERSIE":1ba761fm said:
0310, has produced 2 showbulls for me one of which I used as a clean up sire and probably never should have sold. If only she'll give me a heifer...

invitro fertilization with sexed semen ?????
ROB

ROB":3cbaol45 said:
KNERSIE":3cbaol45 said:

ROB

Nope two natural calves sired by the same AI sire that is the sire of the bull posted.

KNERSIE":194ye8at said:
ROB":194ye8at said:
KNERSIE":194ye8at said:

ROB

Nope two natural calves sired by the same AI sire that is the sire of the bull posted.

no, i meant why not try invitro fertilization with sexed semen to get your heifer....or a few heifers for that matter. although it is a little pricey, the combination apparently works well - as you stated you've raised two show bulls out of the mating.

ROB

I must have had a blonde moment :oops:

I don't use that specific sire anymore, still have 8 straws left that I might bring back in the future. I didn't even think there is any sexed hereford semen available yet?

KNERSIE":1mach46f said:
I must have had a blonde moment :oops:

I don't use that specific sire anymore, still have 8 straws left that I might bring back in the future. I didn't even think there is any sexed hereford semen available yet?

i pulled this off of the Trans Ova website. they have a facility near my location.

Trans Ova Genetics is able to sort fresh or frozen semen for use in on-site in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and embryo transfer. The application of this technology can increase the odds of creating embryos - and then offspring - of desired gender with up to 90 percent accuracy.

With donors housed at a Trans Ova Genetics station equipped to practice IVF, breeders and owners can choose the sire they wish to use on eggs harvested from their elite females. This includes frozen semen of any bull - past or present. If the semen can be delivered to the Trans Ova Genetics lab, it can be thawed, sorted and used in the fertilization process.

i guess i assumed that this technology was available in your area as well.

ROB

Latest posts