A few dry cow pics

Help Support CattleToday:

They are beauties. Such interesting terrian. Are those "trees/shrub" things in the pasture as evil as they look? What's the frame average, they all look very consistant.j When will they calve?

They do look very consistent. That's one thing I'd like to have in my cattle someday is consistent genetics. Thanks for the pictures.

Are those "trees/shrub" things in the pasture as evil as they look? What's the frame average, they all look very consistant.j When will they calve?

They are evil in the sense that it is a horrible alien plant that will invade everything when the conditions is favourable (sandy acidic soil) Its port jackson trees, they are native to Australia and some bright spark imported seed to stabilise the dunes in the Cape flats and to be used as fire wood. Don't think anyone ever suspected they'll thrive like they do. They are a decent emergency drought feed, the dry cut down trees is the remains of the last drought we had when cutting down trees was a daily chore.

The cattle is on average frame 5 and will calve in June

I think South Africa and I think of all kinds of things that could be in there, like COBRAS. I guess it's not a lot different than say Rattlesnakes, but I'll take the familiar over the unfamiliar any day.

Lots of Cape cobras and puff adders. There was a time in early November when we killed 3 cobras a week on average. One of my silly ambitions is to take a few good close up pics of a cobra when in the hooded attack position, just never have the camera with me when I find one.

My wife and I had the great pleasure of visiting with Harley and Elizma last March at their farm a few hours from Cape Town. It truly was a once in a lifetime trip for us Kansas bumpkins. I don't know how we could ever repay the kindness and hospitality extended to us by so many. Harley jokes that I can host their visit to the States when they visit for my 90th birthday.

Harley has a vision of the ideal Hereford and has applied consistent selection pressure to establish a herd that reflects that ideal. His cattle are perfectly adapted to his environment and he excels at herd management. He and Elizma are breed judges, his herd finished second in the national fertility award with a ICP of 368 days, and he was named the Up & Coming Breeder of the Year last year in South Africa. His willingness to share his expertise with others through his regular participation on CT should be applauded.

Thanks Harley for all your help and I look forward to my 90th birthday party :lol:

Here's a group photo we took the night before we left for home.

grouppose.jpg

Jerry, you got quite a healthy SA tan there!

Carol's cheesecake might just convince me to visit sooner. ;-)

jhambley":2g8vi1xs said:
His willingness to share his expertise with others through his regular participation on CT should be applauded.

I agree 100%. Thank you KNERSIE.

BTW, Nice legs. :p :D :D

That tan is long gone...it's about six degrees here today before adding in the wind.

I can only imagine how sun burned I would have been if we had visited in the summer :)

He and Elizma are breed judges, his herd finished second in the national fertility award with a ICP of 368 days, and he was named the Up & Coming Breeder of the Year last year in South Africa

That is amazing ,congratulations.. I knew you had an incredible herd but had not heard this. :clap: You know you and Elizma do not have to be quite so modest ,that is something definitely worth sharing with all of your friends on CT.

BTW, love the pic of the five of you. Thanks jhambley for posting it. :D

As always Knersie I love looking at pics of your cattle .I just find it depressing to look at all that green this time of year ;-) . Your opinions and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated .. :tiphat:

As always beautiful cows. If I had found this site before I got my highlanders I may have been swayed to go Hereford after seeing the photos on these boards