A few definitions please??

Help Support CattleToday:

Stranger

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I've been lurking here for a while trying to learn as much as I can. Hopefully, one day this can be a hobby for me...and my hats off to you folks who make a living at it. Anyway here are some questions I have:

What does a cow/calf operation entail?
what does it mean to run stockers/grassers
what are production cattle??? or a production operation??

Thanks again and good luck. I'll do my part and eat as much beef as I can :D

Hello Stranger and welcome. My answers may not be the best, but I'll do what I can, brief as they may be.
Cow/Calf operation...An outfit that breeds cows, main purpose to produce calves either for beef industry, replacement stock for others, registered stock for beef or show or replacements, or a seedstock cow/calf operation raising cattle for others to start/expand their herds.
Stockers/Grassers...basically feeding steers/heifers until they are big enough for the feedlots for beef industry. These animals start out smaller, anywhere from 350lbs on up to be grown out on grass before going to feedlot or slaughter.
Production Cattle/Production Operation...I'm not 100% clear of the answer on this, but I believe similar to Cow/Calf.
I'm sure there are others here who can give more definitive answers.
Enjoy the learning process. :)

Katherine

Welcome Stranger! We're practically neighbors! I think Workinonit gave a good explanation of the meaning for you, I can't add anything else. Just wanted to say hello! :D

Thanks everyone. That was a great answer workinonit. I've got a handle on most of what is said around here. Books and this forum have been a big help...but I understand there is a big difference between book learning and actual doin....