A Few Days Difference

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Took some pics of our calves 2 days ago and again today.

4132010026.jpg

4132010048.jpg

4132010051.jpg

Today's snowstorm

4132010055.jpg

Hiding in the trees out of the wind.
4132010057.jpg

Rolling out a straw bale. Too slick to use the truck, slid a truck into the trees the year my son was born.
4132010067.jpg

second straw bale
4132010068.jpg

So far we missed the snow part...Picked up .35 of much needed rain- that came gently all morning (no wind for a change)- but now its quit raining- and the wind started blowing again...70% chance still of rain/snow tonight and tomorrow...

Need the moisture but you keep the snow.... ;-)

Waiting on some rain ourselves.....Been 3 weeks since the last. No mudholes to get stuck in anymore, just cow slicks. :D

Some good looking calves. Hope mine look that good. I got 5 on the ground and have lost 1. Several more to go. Will have several in the next 7 days. I have one more heifer that may be to fat we will see.

Thank you for the comments.

Yes George they are mainly out of our Churchill bull. There are the ones out of our heifer bull. Got the one from the AI to GH Rambo. Thought we had 1 more calf coming out of the AI but the cow has gone past the due date and the 21 days we kept her in, so no more Rambo calves. :(

Have 10 left to calve out. Should be interesting. Looking at doing some DNA testing on these last ones, had the Churchill bull and our new bull "Bear" out there, just want to know who the sire is on them. :D

Real nasty last night. Did some checks, this type of storm is a calf killer.
Found 2 cows and a calf huddle on the off wind side of our pump house. Found 3 pairs together in the trees, one cow had her calf standing next to her out of the wind and the other 2 cows were standing where 2 trees had grown together their calves were bedded down at the base of the trunks out of the wind.
The rest were up in the straw we rolled out. There was one spot with hardly any snow on it and that is where they were bedded down. Some cows were laying next to their calves and some were bunched together blocking the wind.
Only one calf was off by itself. I checked her carefully and she was not shivering, just wet.
A long nigt of worry.

Sorry Ace the 038 came out of our last first year heifer to calve. He is out of our bull Red.

Good looking set of calves and it looks to be a tight calving pattern. I'm pretty sure you'll be even happier with Bear's calves, your Churchill bull never got me too excited.

KNERSIE":2agav3ks said:
Good looking set of calves and it looks to be a tight calving pattern. I'm pretty sure you'll be even happier with Bear's calves, your Churchill bull never got me too excited.

That's the thing about those Line 1 bulls- they generally will breed better than they look like they should - even when crossed on Hereford cows of other bloodlines.

George

Latest posts