A few cow pics

Help Support CattleToday:

All good, especially like the first little reds. would be nice to get some good heifer calves out of them for replacements... hopefully you know what they're bred to.

brihop":5syjmz7v said:
All good, especially like the first little reds. would be nice to get some good heifer calves out of them for replacements... hopefully you know what they're bred to.
That's just it, I'm told they're bred to angus or char.But I'm not holding my breath on that.
These four girls ( if they pan out) and 2 here at the house are destined for an AI program.

That's a fantastic start to an AI program. Nice quiet cows that are already doing what you want. Don't get caught up in AI hype where more is always better... Stick with genetics that are proven to give you more of what you already have that you like and less of what you don't like. That way you'll be a success story instead of a burnout. :D

Good points cp. my initial goal is quality commercial feeders followed by quality replacements. I'm not into pushing the limits at high risk. There's a reason tried and true genetics are called tried and true and I respect that.

hooknline":35er7mxn said:
Cows around here actually Lose condition during the summer and start putting it back on in the fall into winter.
I don't know how the temps have been there, but up here in OH we hit a lot of 95+ days this summer. I'd swear our cows looked like they lost 1 BCS score each afternoon and regained it over night.

It's funny. Depending on the time of day they look just fine. Another time of day they look like junk. And it can change from day to day too.
It's not just you.

C'mon KT, keep up. The palmettos are all gone , berries have been harvested. Grass is growin :lol:

Forgot to respond on one thought about their condition.
Considering their condition when I got them a few short months ago, the fact that they are bred, it's summer, stress from moving them, and the drought; I'm pretty darn pleased with their current condition.
I went and checked them again today, and 2 are bagged up and springing. Last week there were no indications so I'm sure it won't be long now. I truly enjoy calving. As long as everything goes well

Yes they will

Went and checked them today. One calf So far from them. Roughly 70 lb heifer. Long bodied calf. Cal was nursing and umbilical all dried up, probably 3 or 4 days old.
Another looking sorta close but should be 2 more months before they drop
photo-128.jpg

Latest posts