A few calf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
For the first time in quite a few years my AI sired calves are equal numbers of heifers and bulls. I was quite lucky in the sence that my cows whom I consider the future of my herd mostly had heifers.

All the calves are about 3 weeks old al out of the same sire.
100_5923.jpg

100_5929.jpg

100_5933.jpg

This one must have tried to steal a little milk
100_5937.jpg

I feel this years calf crop is at this very early stage a little short on exciting bull prospects, but this 2 week old calf looks like he might be the one I was hoping for, unfortunately he's horned. Extremely heavy bone for a hereford don't you think? Also very shortmarked for my herd, maybe those who think white isn't true hereford markings will approve of him?
100_5948.jpg

All really solid looking calves. Congratualtions - on your calves and being so modest about them! ;-)

those herefod calves sure look good.an that last bull calf looks like he will make a herd bull.them horns wont hurt him.just put weights on emm an turn emm down.

bigbull338":296dnyxw said:
those herefod calves sure look good.an that last bull calf looks like he will make a herd bull.them horns wont hurt him.just put weights on emm an turn emm down.

He was dehorned before he was two days old. I'll see how he developes before making any final decisions, but horned bulls don't sell here.

KNERSIE":3pl1u2o3 said:
He was dehorned before he was two days old. I'll see how he developes before making any final decisions, but horned bulls don't sell here.

A beginners question: how did you know he was horned at just 2 days old? My one bull calf that appears to be horned did not really show any visible signs until about 6 weeks old. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough?

Nice looking calves. Very nice.

Jim

SRBeef":217jjbo6 said:
KNERSIE":217jjbo6 said:

A beginners question: how did you know he was horned at just 2 days old? My one bull calf that appears to be horned did not really show any visible signs until about 6 weeks old. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough?

Nice looking calves. Very nice.

Jim

I feel for horn buds when i tag them and that is usually while they're still wet. I synch and AI so often I get alot of calves born in a day in a relatively small area so if I don't tag as soon as they drop I have to build puzzles later.

In my experience scurs often only show up later and you usually can't feel them at birth with any certainty. In the case of horns you'll see the little hornbuds at around 6 weeks old, in the case of scurs you usually only see longer hair tufts where the horns would have been and if you feel for them you'll find them there. As a general rule of thumb, if you see those hair tufts on a supposedly polled calf, you'll very likely find scurs there, if not when young it will show up a little later.

I thought you bred only Polled Herefords? How did you get one with horns? Have you ever had a cow steal, or try to steal, another cow's calf with having so many calving in a day?
We have a friend this happened to and he got some broken ribs from the separating. That cow went to cull.

BARNSCOOP":1qbh0t37 said:
I thought you bred only Polled Herefords?

I try to only breed polled cattle.

How did you get one with horns?

I used a heterozygous polled bull on a heterozygous polled cows and with my luck the 25% chance of a horned calf became reality.

Have you ever had a cow steal, or try to steal, another cow's calf with having so many calving in a day?

Not recently, but have had first calvers try to steal a calf while they are still in the process of calving themselves. I seperate calved cows from those still to calf as soon as the calf can walk.

We have a friend this happened to and he got some broken ribs from the separating. That cow went to cull.

Herefords typically have a very easy going disposition although I have 2 or 3 cows where you need to have your eyes open.

KNERSIE":23pp0xio said:
Herefords typically have a very easy going disposition although I have 2 or 3 cows where you need to have your eyes open.

That's one of the things I love about Herefords, just so easy to be around. I always watch them but I have only had one yearling bull that showed any aggression, but he was also a range bull I bought and put in a pasture... he still grew wheels.

Harley, what is your plans for the horned calf? I agree he looks good and looks like he is heavy boned. Do you plan on hanging on to him for a year and marketing him as a bull?

Thanks,
Alan

Harley, what is your plans for the horned calf? I agree he looks good and looks like he is heavy boned. Do you plan on hanging on to him for a year and marketing him as a bull?

At the moment he's the best looking prospect of all the 2009 bulls, I'll wait till weaning before deciding, but I think I might show him, hopefully that will help him sell. I may use him as a cleanup bull next year depending on how this year's cleanup bulls' calves turn out. Both of the cleanup bulls this year are half brothers to the horned bullcalf.

Latest posts