A few calf (pic's)

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
HPIM0860.jpg

HPIM0864.jpg

HPIM0861.jpg

Some pic's of some calf's were are going to take to the salebarn.

rattler

Thanks for sharing your photos.

You and I must think along the same lines. I had a lot of trouble trying to decide which of my herd to cull this fall - until I found myself standing behind them when they were all side by side heads down eating some grain from the feed bunk.

That rear view side by side really pointed out the differences in the animals that in the side view were not nearly as obvious, at least to a beginner like me. From now on I am making my first call from the rear/feedbunk view. Then I'll go to the side view, etc.

There are some of those calves that definitely would be good to see from the side. How close in age are they?

Thanks again for sharing your photos.

When deciding which calves to cull many things should be taken into consideration. As you said you are a beginner so it's not your fault in thinking the way you do. Phenotype(the way calves look) should first and foremost be the final deciding factor in choosing which calves to keep and which to sell. First you must decide what you are looking for. What you want your herd to look like in the long run. Next you look at the pedigree of the calves. If they have a long line of producers you should not cull them solely based on what they look like because believe me we have many cows who don't look the best but throw amazing calves due to their pedigree. So phenotype should not be your only deciding factor especially if you think that a rear shot of your calves is your best indicator of if they are good or not. Some calves have everything except a good rear end so you mate them to a bull with a great one. So please don't go on a think just because a calf is FANTASTIC ot disgusting that does not dictate what they will produce.

CosgrayHerefords":1ynncoaw said:
When deciding which calves to cull many things should be taken into consideration. As you said you are a beginner so it's not your fault in thinking the way you do. Phenotype(the way calves look) should first and foremost be the final deciding factor in choosing which calves to keep and which to sell. First you must decide what you are looking for. What you want your herd to look like in the long run. Next you look at the pedigree of the calves. If they have a long line of producers you should not cull them solely based on what they look like because believe me we have many cows who don't look the best but throw amazing calves due to their pedigree. So phenotype should not be your only deciding factor especially if you think that a rear shot of your calves is your best indicator of if they are good or not. Some calves have everything except a good rear end so you mate them to a bull with a great one. So please don't go on a think just because a calf is FANTASTIC ot disgusting that does not dictate what they will produce.

Thanks for your advice.

However as I said above, I only use the rear view for a first call on which to look at further in the side view to cull. And attitude/disposition trumps them all.

I disagree with the iimportance of pedigree however. I am a beginner and did not buy a lot of my Herefords and BWF with pedigrees. My bull is registered but he is the only one. The rest of the cows came from various private treaty sales locally. So the only thing I have to go by is their performance so far (one set of calves) and their appearance/disposition as I see them.

From what I do see so far I am looking to create a herd of grass-efficient, shorter, wide & long body, docile, 1200 lb, more or less pure Hereford cows who calve well on their own. Maybe it is an advantage to not have to rely on pedigree right now but on what I see since I'm not sure the pedigree is going to show what I'm looking for, at least in the price range I have to work within.

I don't mean to divert the original poster's thread. I just want to agree with his choice of camera angles. I have a couple animals that look good in the side view but you look at them in the feedbunk view as the photos above and it looks much more obvious which ones go to the processor this fall.

SRBeef you don't worry a bit devirting from my post i have been raising cattle for a wile now but i feel i am still learing and can benefit from what others have to say so you talk all you wan't. ;-)
I am like you i look at the rear end and i like to look at the topling and underline too i don't pot guted calf's.I look at the disposition if they are high strung they are gone.These calf's up till now have had no feed just started with a little grain been raised on grass and milk proubly in the next couple week's they will be gone.

rattler

Those are some nice calves. I'm surprised we haven't been reminded by a certain "friend" that they are red. ;-)

Latest posts