A few bull calves at 5 to 6 months old.

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I took some picture of a few bull calves the other day. This is a small rented pasture with nine cows and thier nine bull calves. Some are better than others and a few of the cows are old.
cattle2006024.jpg

cattle2006025.jpg

cattle2006026.jpg

cattle2006028.jpg

cattle2006027.jpg

rkm":2k1c6pt1 said:
Good cattle, good fences, nice place! Something to be proud of!

alabama is a good cattleman, except his cattle are the wrong color! :lol:

Beefy":2rfnr1s7 said:
i especially like that first calf.
He is the youngest in the groop. He is by the herd bull and out of a heifer. I think it is the way he is standing that helps him. He will most likley get a ride to the stock yard after I get the 205 day weights unless he indexes well above 100 then we will give him at shot at making a bull.

Really nice looking calves! A couple of question if I may, do you castrate them or ship/sell them as bulls? What would you guess these will weigh at 205?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":1lpt4wiy said:
Really nice looking calves! A couple of question if I may, do you castrate them or ship/sell them as bulls? What would you guess these will weigh at 205?

Thanks,
Alan

1) I don't castrate. I rase them until I see how they are going to turn out. Those that don't make as breding bulls go to the stockyard as bulls. The first load to ship out will be after weaning weights are in.

I will have weaning weights in about 15 days. I will know what 205-day weights are then. As for now, the only data I have is on one calf. I had one calf that went to see the vet at Auburn on 7-7-06 and he weighed 482 pounds. This guy is the 606 calf and was born on 2-18-06. He is not one of the best calves in the group or he may just looker smaller as he is a younger calf for this group.
I am not sure how y'all calc a 205 day weight but not considering that his birth weight was about 75 pounds, (I don't have his birth weight with me.)

Born 2-18-2006
Weight after a 30 mile haul on 7-7-2006 = 482 pounds
That weight was at 139 days old which translates to about 700-pound 205-day weight.

Latest posts