A few before and after pictures from rotation this morning

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures from a rotation this morning. I pushed the last one about a half day further than usual but the grass/clover mix is not too short to come back in a couple weeks and with some rain. I think this does illustrate pretty efficient use of forage.

The cow standing with her calf in the first picture almost looks like she is picking out a spot to head to when I let them around the gate handle end of the wire. ;-)

There was good manure distribution and almost no weeds left as you can see. Eaten down this far and completely this is about 90 cow-day/acre grass. I will drag this pasture when they finish it and reach the woods in the background. At this point I don't want them coming back over the recently grazed area so I put the back wire up after they filed in and opened a slinky gate for them to use a lane (on the far right) back to water.

fwiw. Jim

IMG_0571_efficientuseofgrazing_051412.jpg

IMG_0575_efficientuseofgrazing_051412.jpg

IMG_0577_efficientuseofgrazing_051412.jpg

SSGenetics":2wt9bs46 said:
...Great udder on the cow in the first pic!

That is one of my home raised young cows. I like them long, low, 1200 lb, calve easily on their own, and with a good flat udder like that,...etc.

Not all there yet but working that way through bull selection and culling.

Thank you for the kind words.

Jim

BB - yes they are grazing it down well. This works much better (=better grass utilization) with daily moves as I have been able to do lately compared to weekly in the past.