A Fault?

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
The co-owner of my bull has some friends with Star Lake bloodline cattle who used our bull last year. They have a complaint with the calves: Too small at birth! Didn't tell me what they weighed. Mine averaged about 80 pounds....I drive by every day, and their calves look good and seem to be growing well. They plan to AI to Palliadin (sp?) this year, think he will throw larger BW. I still plan to post some more pics of this year's calves ASAP, but that might not be very soon. :D

It is so much better to have live calves. Pounds weaned per cow exposed, basically, because light calves always survive birth better and hit the ground growing and big calves do not necessarily grow any better.

I believe herefords should be a easy calving breed as it once was. Whether my cows can handle big birth weights or not isn't really the issue, it's whether my bull customers' cows can handle bigger BW is what matters.

I can promise you if you sell one bull that causes birthing problems you'll never sell a bull to that customer again.

ANAZAZI":sqxh4n52 said:
It is so much better to have live calves. Pounds weaned per cow exposed, basically, because light calves always survive birth better and hit the ground growing and big calves do not necessarily grow any better.

:nod: :nod:

big calves do not necessarily grow any better

Usually bigger calves at birth do grow faster than the smaller calves. There are some exceptions, but they are few and far between. You just need to decide exactly how much grow you need as the growthier calves also tend to be the later maturing and bigger framescore calves.

Very few curve bending young bulls will mature to be curve bending old bulls

KNERSIE":xmqb97ro said:
big calves do not necessarily grow any better

Usually bigger calves at birth do grow faster than the smaller calves. There are some exceptions, but they are few and far between. You just need to decide exactly how much grow you need as the growthier calves also tend to be the later maturing and bigger framescore calves.

Very few curve bending young bulls will mature to be curve bending old bulls

Thanks for clarifying; what I meant was that for example fourteen small but alive calves out of fifteen cows will grow more per day than for example eleven big calves from fifteen cows. I agree that curve benders are few, thats why the curves look like they do!

A light BW and he couldnt even tell you what the weight was? To me, as long as the calf is born healthy, and the momma has a big bag... that calf is gonna grow.

You would think the small birth weight with alive calf would be the idea. Or at least a live calf would be. His cows then can go to work and grow them.
What is he considering big? Oh but he can't give you a birth weight, Hum?