A different kind of study on agriculture

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clue what the heck they are talking about?
I sure don't.

http://cssc.berkeley.edu/events/event/q ... -familism/

So why queer agriculture? This seems like an odd question but becomes more obvious with research and analysis. This talk highlights vital ways queering and trans-ing ideas and practices of agriculture are necessary for more sustainable, sovereign, and equitable food systems for the creatures and systems involved in systemic reproductions that feed humans and other creatures. Since agriculture is literally the backbone of economics, politics, and "civilized" life as we know it, and the manipulation of reproduction and sexuality are a foundation of agriculture, it is absolutely crucial queer and transgender studies begin to deal more seriously with the subject of agriculture. This talk highlights the normative ways that popular culture, food activism, and government regulations have framed sustainable food systems in the United States. By focusing on popular culture representations and government legislation since 9/11, it will become clearer how the growing popularity of sustainable food is laden with anthroheterocentric assumptions of the "good life" coupled with idealized images and ideas of the American farm, and gender, radicalized and normative standards of health, family, and nation.

Bailey Kier is Ph.D candidate in American Studies and an Administrative Coordinator at the University of Maryland, College Park. Originally from a white working class community in the Cascade Mountains of Western Washington, Kier's work is heavily influenced from the simultaneous beauty, devastation, poverty, and libertarianism of the logging and mining cultures of the Pacific Northwest. Kier's dissertation "An American River: A Queer Geography of the Potomac River Basin and Environmentalism in the Nation's Capitol" examines how mainstream environmentalism has not merely been the benevolent project it's often represented as, but instead can more accurately be described as the management of populations, resources, and species. Kier's work has been published in Women and Performance, The Transgender Studies Reader 2, and The New Inquiry. Kier's research interests include queer ecologies, hydrology, natural history, transgender studies, and studies of science.

You peaked my curiosity to understand it, so I went searching for an explanation. 20 minutes later and I still don't understand it, and my head hurts just thinking about it.

I don't think that she can figure out what they heck she is talking about, but then confusion goes without saying in that crowd. If you want to read something really scary, try this:

http://vine.bravebirds.org/connections/racism/

Their fundamental belief is that breeding and keeping animals equals specieism = sexism = slavery = racism = homophobia. If it wasn't so scary it might even be funny how they develop their conclusions, but the hate that they spew on their website against anyone who isn't a minority lesbian transgender vegan makes the KKK and the Nazis look like boyscouts. We're taught that today we must be tolerant of all kinds, and they're very shrewd with how they connect their cause with other downtrodden classes who few would consider speaking out about in today's PC world, but I think that these guys cross the line and should be opposed with all that we have. They put up stacks of brochures on the bulletin board at my local grain store, and I remove them all as soon as I see them.

Evidently, by "antroheterocentric" they are referring to humanism in relation to heterosexuality.

I haven't figured out if they are wanting to get more gay and lesbians into farming or if they are referring to current breeding programs not allowing animals (and maybe plants) to be homosexuals if they want to be.

They do some strange things out in California.. :lol:

Oh, it appears that they let them into New England too. Now they are poised to attack you guys from both sides.

I can hardly keep up with all the things that make my wife angry, much less decipher an even angrier version. :lol:

But you are talking about my client base so I will have to ask the group for advice. If you had to take these Vegan ladies to a proper meal in New Orleans where would you go?

https://m.facebook.com/venusmotorcycles

The client base thing is over my head, but I would take the feminist lesbian vegan animal rights activist biker chicks to a Hell's Angels pig roast held at a zoo, rodeo or dairy farm.

Clients in that they are coming here to spend money. Buy stuff I make.

We get all kinds of people here for Mardi Gras.

But one thing you learn in married life is that women enjoy being indignant. They get an adrenaline rush followed by a smug omniscience. No sense trying to understand it.

Not if you marry the right woman, but I certainly get your point and agree that it is increasingly common.

Mardi Gras is not my cup of tea. New Orleans even during normal times is somewhat foreign to me, but my meal venue recommendation for that crowd still stands.

Maybe these articles are pointing out how we are missing a great opportunity by not raising gay bulls. Just imagine all the work and worry it would save. No more heat checking of cows or semen checking of bulls. We wouldn't need to worry calving season at all. Just think of all the implications. Of course everyone h a s to go this way or else the non conformist will still be making money from the animal husbandry industry.

Jalopy":q4nzdl53 said:
Maybe these articles are pointing out how we are missing a great opportunity by not raising gay bulls. Just imagine all the work and worry it would save. No more heat checking of cows or semen checking of bulls. We wouldn't need to worry calving season at all. Just think of all the implications. Of course everyone h a s to go this way or else the non conformist will still be making money from the animal husbandry industry.
But what would you expect from berckley the cradle of liberalism.
Instead of queer bulls we make eunuchs out of them.

We see biology at work in all of agriculture. I did not read the article just the first paragraph. It looks like the writer does not understand science. That is not said to hurt anyone or be controversial. I'm not interested in an online debate just stating what my thoughts.
May you all have a safe and blessed day.

I should have finished my coffee and paid attention before replying