A delicate subject

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I slipped down to Tennessee yesterday to pick up a few things. I was at an intersection of a very busy street. A young man with Down syndrome was walking down the turning lane away from me on the opposite side of the intersection. When the light changed, and I went through, I decided I had to do something. I stopped my truck, and put the flashers on, and got out to see if I could talk him to moving over to the sidewalk. He was very amiable and agreeable. Cars still flying by of course, and some even choosing to dart around my truck, on the side we were standing. Luckily, (because I was out of town), another lady stopped as well shortly after I did. She said she was a nurse, and had a much better way of getting him to communicate than I did. I'm more of the animal husbandry type, and I think she recognized that. She agreed to take charge, and I went on about my business. 30 minutes later, there was a real bad wreck in that intersection. He wasn't around thankfully when it happened.

I'm starting to see signs like this in my town:

I don't want to come off as "The big meany", and I'm sure there will be backlash from this post, but I'm starting to get concerned. I am 100% for people with disabilities (including mental disabilities), living a full and rewarding life. Are we giving too much free run them?

I was happy, but reluctant to help the young man. I just felt like I had better do something. Not being a local, I can't say how far he traveled to get there. He left from somewhere, and passed many people and things on his way to this intersection. I'm sure all along the way, some people didn't care, and others just couldn't decide if it was time to step in or not I decided it was time to step in.

Seeing signs like the one I posted above start popping up around town, has had my mind kind of thinking about it lately. Don't bash me too hard for bringing the subject up.

Troy,

I simply see it the same as any kid. They all require supervision. I don't think there is anything mean spirited about your thoughts.

Bright Raven":2156cvr6 said:
Troy,

I simply see it the same as any kid. They all require supervision. I don't think there is anything mean spirited about your thoughts.
Yup, what he said!

melking":2antb6xh said:
I think you should be commended for caring. More importantly, you should be commended for paying attention to thos around you. A little help can go a long way.

I second that. I also have helped in a couple cases where help was needed. I am like you Troy, I feel awkward around folks with disabilities.

As a step-dad of a learning disabled son, I commend you recognizing what others miss. Brock is blessed living in a small town as most people know him and know his disabilities as well as his capabilities. Most will look out for him while others ignore him and go about their way. He is 33 and will never function above the age of 12 in most cases, but with good people looking out for him he does pretty well.

I also live in a small town that has wonderful facilities such as Twin Rivers Development and MOSIAC and a number of businesses hire a lot of developmentally disabled part time employees. Not that everyone is as aware/concerned/caring as you. Speaking on behalf of my dear friend whose daughter has Asperger's and 2 step daughters that work with the learning disabled (and their families), thank you!

In my line of work I deal with a lot of learning disabled people. I think you did a great job helping him out. A lot of times I find it difficult to communicate with them as I have a hard time understanding what they are saying but I find them very fun loving and enjoyable to be around.

Troy, you're a good man. . . . . . . . . . .while we are on the subject, nothing pisses me off more than people making fun of, or mistreating handicapped or those of misfortune. I go absolutely ballistic.

Latest posts