A decent hereford ?!!!?!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Myabe today's a lucky day - yesterday I did turn 40. Mead cattle just e-mailed me pics of a bull, and he does look promising. His calving ease direct epd is -5.0, and birth weight is +5.3, so I'd only be able to use him on mature cows, but he looks like he may have some potential, although I don't particular care for his sheath. Their asking $2000.

SEBASTIAN.jpg

Comments??

cypressfarms":3k2aofr6 said:
Myabe today's a lucky day - yesterday I did turn 40. Mead cattle just e-mailed me pics of a bull, and he does look promising. His calving ease direct epd is -5.0, and birth weight is +5.3, so I'd only be able to use him on mature cows, but he looks like he may have some potential, although I don't particular care for his sheath. Their asking $2000.

SEBASTIAN.jpg

Comments??

Looks fairly clean fronted, has a good butt, nice spring of rib, nice size nuts, alot of gutts, fairly level topline, cannot tell 100 percent from the pic but I think he may toe out a litte on the front right. Sheath is okay, it is not the cleanest but not the worse either. I say what a bargain for 2 grand. -5.3 scares me.

Meade has tough cattle raised in harsh conditions.

Looks like a pretty good bull overall. Who is he out of? Do they have a head shot to get a better look at eyeset and pigment?
Also would like to see his dam? Although every cow I have seen 20 or so out of the meade herd have been consistant
and clean uddered attachment.

redfornow":1k4u38s7 said:
Who is he out of?

He's out of Elm Lodge Paycheck 11P, tracing back to Embracer 8006.

-5.3 scares me too, but with a group of Brangus cows 4-6 years old I do feel a little more at ease.

Ask the breeder how he thinks his calves will be. I didn't see a birthweight like to no what it is. I don't no any thing about herford epd's. so they don't tell me anything. That is a good looking bull cypress.

I wouldn't use a 5.3 BW on heifers & probably not on 2 year olds - but a clean fronted +5.3 BW polled Hereford would not worry me anymore than a Charolais bull on cows.

I used Enyeto another 5+ BW 8006 bred bull that Mead owns on mature cows - the calves were big both years I used him but found them all up and running - they were also the biggest at weaning and dressed the heaviest carcasses too - which is what I used him for. Isn't that what you want from your mature commercial cows anyhow.

Look up the Semex bull Next Big Thing - he is a maternal brother to Paycheck.

If this bull in the photo is out of the dam I think he is - the daughters will be awesome and you will not fault the udders!

If this bull had a 3 BW Epd he would probably have went into the purebred sale and sold for 2-3x the asking price.
Ask Mead but - I would bet if he thought he would cause problems calving he would have cut his head off by now.

Good luck!

cypressfarms":2lgctfny said:
redfornow":2lgctfny said:
Who is he out of?

He's out of Elm Lodge Paycheck 11P, tracing back to Embracer 8006.

-5.3 scares me too, but with a group of Brangus cows 4-6 years old I do feel a little more at ease.

I definitely understand that. What was his birthweight do ya know?

Cypress if I were in your shoes and definately NOT looking for a heifer bull I would buy him in a heartbeat. He blows the doors off the Char bull and his calves will mature a lot quicker.

But that's just me you do what you thinkis right for you.

BTW belated Happy Birthday :banana:

His BW is pretty real.
Canada sire -10.3 with victor based momma..

I would buy him good looking bull.
I have used a 5 BW on cows and they will be heavy but good....

herefordchick":vt7v0b2v said:
If this bull had a 3 BW Epd he would probably have went into the purebred sale and sold for 2-3x the asking price.
Ask Mead but - I would bet if he thought he would cause problems calving he would have cut his head off by now.

Very good point! He was born 12/11/06, so I have to assume that he hasn't sold yet because of the high birth weight. I don't have his actual birthweight. His maternal numbers are not good (calving ease maternal -1.6 and calving ease direct -5.0) so he'd be almost a terminal bull. Part of the benefit of having a herford on brangus is being able to keep baldies as replacements. I'd also have to be concerned about selling the hiefers as private treaty replacements - I couldn't sell them in good faith without telling the potential buyer. Decision, decisions.

I'm waiting for pics on another hereford bull ( a 3 year old) less than 30 miles from my house.

Picture of his sire:
Royal-06-Paycheck-web.jpg

Picture of his dam on this page:
http://www.meadcattle.com/PW_5039_VICTORIA_969.html

ET calf, so no weight data on his performance pedigree, but his carcass data looks good to me.

A bull with some age ready to go to work at a good price.

He ought to do well on your Brangus cows - and I'm betting you won't mind keeping heifers out of him once you see them.

Edited to add: His BW EPD is the average of his sire/dam. If he throws calves like his sire, they may be a little hefty, but your cows should handle them. If he takes after his dam, you'd be able to use him on heifers. It would help to know what his actual BW was, so you'd have a better feel for what he might do. But being an ET calf throws more variables into it.

I'd bet that you'd not have to worry about his heifers having calving problems unless you stacked another very high BW bull on top of them.

George

Cypress,

Since you are considering places as far away as Georgia, contact JWR. We bought a bull and a few bred cows from them, all have done a very nice job for us. The bull was used on mature cows and while the BWs were alittle higher than the rest of the bulls we use, so was the growth at weaning.

If you want some suggestions or help with your search I can put you in contact with someone who can find you a good bull in your price range. As honest a man as there is in his line of work (ringman, sale consultant, sale manager). PM me if you want his info.

Scott

cypressfarms":2qklkr33 said:

SEBASTIAN.jpg

Comments??

(Johnny) Paycheck has a very high metabolism rate represented by the FAT EPD. This could interfere with your bottom line. Alan has some BRL Call offspring and they tend to look very appealing. I would need to see the dam's EPDs before I can predict the BW risk. For now, I would mentally focus on the FAT and BW before buying him but putting them on longhorns may be different issues.

Latest posts