A deal is a deal

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
Hook and I need your support in our little deal... He's going to cut his cigs in half and I'm done with beer. ;-)
We figured that we'd better make it official since it's been beating us both for a while now.
Please stay on both of us. :nod:

Yep. Lets do this. I agree to cut my smokes by at least half in the next 30 days. And completely quit by Jan 30.
Bust our chops, call us names and insult us if you see us slacking.

Now how the heck are we supposed to know if Hook is chain smoking and CP is chugging a 6 pack . :? I guess it is the honor system .. :nod:

Good luck to you both. You have my support . :tiphat:

hooknline":2ovka37a said:
Join in kathie. Lets make this a group effort

This would be the perfect time for me. I'm on my 4th day home after a nasty asthma attack (allergies and country living are not the greatest mix -- and the smokes don't help). Was in the ER yesterday: Chest x-ray, EKG, blood work, 3 breathing treatments, a big fat IV bag, and an Rx for steroids for 5 days . Better today, but not jumping buildings yet (not smoking yet either!).

Can I get in on this too? I am ashamed to say that quitting smoking is the one thing I have been unable to do! :bang:

Hook, I do believe if I have done the math right you and I are the same age and in the same boat on this one... :hide:

Kathie.....Are you in??

When my dad quit he said he was tired of his life being ran by something that was 3.5" x 1/4". He stopped cold turkey after many years, too. I think this buddy system would have been a great help to me when I did it. Congrats to everyone for taking the first step!

both of you can quit smoking an drinking if you really want to.but yall have to really want it.

Farm girl of course you can join in on this. We probably anout the same age
Anyone thats wants to can. Kathie are you in?
I just picked up the rechargeable e cig and a refill pack for 42 bucks. Its equal to 12 packs of smokes
Its gotta charge for 3 hours.

bigbull338":11e52ep6 said:
both of you can quit smoking an drinking if you really want to.but yall have to really want it.
As one older fellow told me "quit buying them and quit bumming them". :lol2:

I havent ever had a desire to quit until now. In the past i tried to quit because i needed to. Not because i wanted to

TexasBred":3nx5fwy7 said:
bigbull338":3nx5fwy7 said:
As one older fellow told me "quit buying them and quit bumming them". :lol2:
i always hated having to bumm an dipp or a chew when i was out.an ive had family bumm full cans of snuff off of me.

Congrats & good luck Hook & CP, and everybody else who's gonna try.

Hook, based on personal experience, you might want to have a plan/goal for after you've cut back.
I always told myself I was gonna quit smoking at 40. My plan was to cut back slowly, then go cold turkey. That was 5 years ago. I cut way back, but I still smoke 7-8/day and can't get past that psychological need.
One thing that helps me alot in cutting back is never smoke inside, not even if it's a blizzard outside. I always go outside to smoke and almost never have the patience/time to sit and smoke the whole thing, and of course, there's never one burning away in an ashtray. I've tried patches, but they didn't work for me. Gum made me want to smoke more. I haven't tried the e-cig. Can't wait to hear how well that works for you. That could be a good possibility for me. I'm gonna think real hard on joining you in your efforts.
Good luck everyone!! I'll say a prayer for strength for you all!

Cmon cottage. Just do it. The cigs are working pretty well so far for me. Im smoking one real one eveey 2 hrs right now. Where it would normally be about 6 in the same time frame.

Thinkin' real hard on it. Need more time to mentally prepare :D
My Mr. quit about 10 years ago, shoulda done it myself at the same time.

Im gonna rip someones head off!
Did i mention my daughtees boyfriend and his mom are coming over for dinner tonight but they cant tell us when? Arghhhhh!!!
How ua doing cp?

hooknline":lsknljhz said:
How ua doing cp?
fine...

I SAID I WAS FINE ALREADY!!! :mrgreen: Just kidding.
I've quit for short periods of time in the past but then when I get run down I start looking for something to pick me back up. Right now I'm breeding an average of a hundred and fifty head a day and then spending a few hours building corral at the ranch and in the last four months I've had three days off so I know that as tired as I've been if it's still on my mind then I'm serious this time.
My problem has always been that I've always had two or three things to juggle that all qualify as a full time job and I've always felt that a guy who worked hard should be able to have a beer at the end of the day... so the harder I work, the more I think I deserve to drink and it's turned into to much. I can't remember the last time I was drunk(and not because I was drunk :lol: ) but I can sure put them away. I think I just finally figured out that at some point in time I would have to stop for good and the only differance between now and later was a matter of how much I'd damaged myself.

I did something that might help you smokers:
In the mornings while I'm out breeding cows I'm also planning my day. I write a to-do list as things come to me and then my day is planned when I'm done with the route... This morning for the first time, I wrote "don't drink" at the top of the list. I'm a pretty driven person so crossing off my entire to-do list does more for me than beer ever has. I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my mind... I finally remembered what that big chore that I keep forgetting about was and got it on my list. :nod: