A Craigslist Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Copied this from Craigslist. Frankfurt, Ky. $3500. The farm is nice! I am not shopping for a bull. Looking at what the market is saying!
FlyingFSimmentals, Mike, probably knows the place.

LRF PAYS TO UPGRADE- ASA number is 2964260

abh4s3.jpg

He is a 2 year old, listed on his papers as being Polled. NOT - he is either scurred or had a poor dehorning job. His sire, Pays to Believe is P/H. Looks decent. Farm does look nice. Not sure if the one across the road belongs with this side of road, but it is really nice!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":w9gu1iq7 said:
He is a 2 year old, listed on his papers as being Polled. NOT - he is either scurred or had a poor dehorning job. His sire, Pays to Believe is P/H. Looks decent. Farm does look nice. Not sure if the one across the road belongs with this side of road, but it is really nice!

You got a great eye! Ad said scurred! I did not look at papers.

Bright Raven":2rckyyvd said:
Copied this from Craigslist. Frankfurt, Ky. $3500. The farm is nice! I am not shopping for a bull. Looking at what the market is saying!

abh4s3.jpg

I expect the market will just say no to that creature.

Not sure I understand why you think a DNA would be needed?? Oh, do you mean because he could be horned instead of scurred?
The sire is P/H (polled carrying the horn gene), and the dam is listed as "P" (meaning they don't know if she is carrying the horn gene - very few cows are DNA tested for P/H. So, the offspring definitely COULD be horned. Also, the dam could easily be carrying the scur gene and no one would know. The scur gene is sexed linked. A female has to inherit two scur genes, but a male only has to inherit one to be expressed. His "head gear" looks like scurs - but a bad dehorning "could" look the same.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":34n8x4y6 said:
Not sure I understand why you think a DNA would be needed?? Oh, do you mean because he could be horned instead of scurred?
The sire is P/H (polled carrying the horn gene), and the dam is listed as "P" (meaning they don't know if she is carrying the horn gene - very few cows are DNA tested for P/H. So, the offspring definitely COULD be horned. Also, the dam could easily be carrying the scur gene and no one would know. The scur gene is sexed linked. A female has to inherit two scur genes, but a male only has to inherit one to be expressed. His "head gear" looks like scurs - but a bad dehorning "could" look the same.

I didn't know how scurs was transmitted but the ad states the bull is scurred.

I have two of the nicest AI sired bulls you will find anywhere. LRF ACE OF SPADES is an all black 3/4 Simmental 1/4 Angus. LRF PAYS TO UPGRADE is a purebred Simmental. He is scurred. Both bulls are a little over two years old and gentle as dogs.

With the bull being scurred, you can figure 50% of his MALE calves will be scurred. No females will express the scurs, but 50% will carry the gene. This is based on a herd of cows NOT carrying the scur gene. Scurs are no big deal, especially in a commercial herd. It would be extremely unusual for a scur to grow big enough to affect cattle on a feedlot.

TennesseeTuxedo":27bpx1tc said:
Bright Raven":27bpx1tc said:

abh4s3.jpg

So does that mean I'm not the only one that think he looks like a steer?

Rafter S":2mz6dqa6 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2mz6dqa6 said:
Bright Raven":2mz6dqa6 said:

abh4s3.jpg

So does that mean I'm not the only one that think he looks like a steer?

Yes.

Heard of them and do think I've seen some of their cattle. This one here I don't care for, seen a few more Pays to Believe sons at The Bulls of the Bluegrass Sale this Spring I didn't care for either. Think they were from Welsh Simmentals in Glasgow, KY. Welsh usually has sharp bulls, but they were a lot like this guy with funky heads. Personally I think to many breeders sampled that Sire. He's a good Sire but needs to be used on Homozygous Polled Cows.

Sure looks horned to me. I have a scurred Hereford bull and one out of every 9-10 males have scurrs. I just take a pair of dykes and snip them off if I don't like the looks of them.

Not really having Craigslist in Australia, everything i know about Craiglist i have learnt off law and order svu. I hope that bull isnt a creep!!!!

Latest posts