a cow and bull eyeset

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms

Reaction score
These are both SHF Marshal 236G M33 offspring. The cow is one I raised and now is in Pennsylvania .

P7080018.JPG

Here is a Marshal son

P7080026.JPG

rocket2222":rn24ckrd said:
They look good, like the bull set a little better than the cows, do you wished you would have kept that cow, she looks good.

Yes and no she was an ET I have two just like her on the ground and a couple in the tank. She went to a good home. I got to go see her last week. She has an awsome Progress bull calf at side.

I need to get permision from the bull owner to post his profile on here. Just makes you feel good that someone liked her enough to purchase her and take good care of her.

What did you think of the rest of the cow?

Very impressive looking cow, I hope to get a pasture full of those sooner than later. I would like to see the pic of the bull if you get permission (I assume you're referring to the progress calf). Do you have any pics of Marshal as an older bull?

BTW, I'm a little surprised more of the Hereford folks haven't chimed in as nice as that cow is.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Alan

Alan":1sxwvfah said:
Very impressive looking cow, I hope to get a pasture full of those sooner than later. I would like to see the pic of the bull if you get permission (I assume you're referring to the progress calf). Do you have any pics of Marshal as an older bull?

BTW, I'm a little surprised more of the Hereford folks haven't chimed in as nice as that cow is.

Alan

This is pretty much an Angus board in my opinion - so I rarely comment on cattle and breeds now

Decent cow and bull - would look better with horns

Cheers

Bez+

I like the cow and I guess I'm gald to be East of I-35 (wherever that is), because she would be welcome here. I'm a big fan of the SHF bulls.

I always thoght this was more of a Hereford board with a litle Angus, Longhorn and ears thrown in. I guess the Herefords just catch my eye.

Alan":18vuczco said:

Alan

Alan no I dont have any pics of Marshal as a older bull Kevin might on his website. I was refering to the bull that I have a head shot of on eyeset he is a two year old marshal son. I saw alot of his sire in him looking at him.

The cow has the highest weaning and yearling ratio in his herd. The birth weight EPD is high from her first calf and the contemporary group it was in ratioed 114% and was a 78 lb calf.

Jeff

The cow is beautiful, obviously i love the marshal daughters. She is powerful with a great udder. Not every cow would look good in pastures like that, pasture like that might make a good cow look really good, but it isn't going to take a cull prospect and turn her into a donor.

And bez, why would you add horns and extra dehorning costs to an already beautiful cow. Doesn't make much sense, and yes I know you were kidding.

Bez+":1sepch1h said:
oakcreekfarms":1sepch1h said:
Doesn't make much sense, and yes I know you were kidding.

Actually, I was not

Cheers

Bez+
If I remember correctly your breed of choice is horned herfs .. ;-)

There are always herf breeders posting pics and Big bull posts his beefmaster pics, Jeanne with her solid colored simmis don't forget Ryan and other LH breeders if anything I think it is becoming more diverse. And more global as well.

Oh and let's not forget that Keren posts alot of sheep pics that looks like goats, which I myself love to look at but know nothing about :lol2:

BTW I like the cow also, she looks like a very functional animal.

S&S Farms":23z1lfuu said:
What did you think of the rest of the cow?

Overall, I think she's a very nice cow, if you wanted me to be real picky, I would say her rear legs maybe a little too straight, but that may just be the angle the pic was taken. Nice cow. I also thing she would look good just about anywhere, having good pasture not going to change her length, rib shape or depth, she may lose a few pounds though.

I actually raise polled herefords, no use in ruining a good bull by putting horns on em :D

The cow is just a plain good cow, the angle of the picture does seem to make her look a touch posty. Knowing the breeder I would doubt that she is.

The eyeset on both the bull and cow is very good, both's lashes could have pointed more downwards to be more ideal. You would not expect a cow to have eyebanks like a bull.

The cow is a very good type, I don't think she is too straight hocked, probably just a bad pose, she certainly isn't straight shouldered as you would expect a posty cow would be. She could have done with a touch more muscle to be picky.

KNERSIE":msbh5e8u said:
The eyeset on both the bull and cow is very good, both's lashes could have pointed more downwards to be more ideal. You would not expect a cow to have eyebanks like a bull.

The cow is a very good type, I don't think she is too straight hocked, probably just a bad pose, she certainly isn't straight shouldered as you would expect a posty cow would be. She could have done with a touch more muscle to be picky.

Trying to become better "educated" here! Knersie, in the cow's picture what specifically do you see that indicates that you'd like to see more muscle?

George

She's a bit flat rumped and in her condition I'd like to see more loin and longer thicker muscle over the outer and back thigh. Look at the cow to her right that is in the process of walking, I like to see more of that muscle expression in the lower hindquarter.

KNERSIE":cwwloxr1 said:
She's a bit flat rumped and in her condition I'd like to see more loin and longer thicker muscle over the outer and back thigh. Look at the cow to her right that is in the process of walking, I like to see more of that muscle expression in the lower hindquarter.

Thanks for your reply! I do see your point and will agree that it is being "picky"! :lol:

Remembering seeing Marshall as a calf in Denver, I think you could probably make a similar argument about him, visually - but it would definitely be in the realm of hypercritical judgment. I am a fan of an "explosive" muscle pattern, but I also worry about it being carried so far in females that it might affect fertility.

Adjusting for the camera distortion that I think makes this cow's head oversized to the rest of her body, this cow is not far at all from what I would consider "ideal".

George

Latest posts