A couple videos of the cattle in the cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
testing out my new cell phone and it's video capabilities.. First one is of Sofa grazing through the snow, the second vid is of my late calving heifer and her calf (grandma in there too).. I like the build of that little heifer calf, she's got a heck of a butt on her, she's 3/4 Gelbvieh
Sofa and that little calf are 3/4 related on the father's side, as well as a bit on the mother's side (Josie was Sofa's great grandma, and the calf's great great grandma (is that 3/32 blood?)

I've had a heck of a time getting youtube videos to work here recently, and I know I'm doing it right, so I'm including the link as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVy_GoEc2XU
[youtube]lVy_GoEc2XU[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6_YJWgCly0
[youtube]Q6_YJWgCly0[/youtube]

And one I've posted before of the cows being mighty unhappy after a night of freezing rain, followed by -15C and snow.. it was like the Dakotas last winter but not as much snow by far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHDbCosXFA
[youtube]mVHDbCosXFA[/youtube]

It's a Samsung S4, I like the screen on it, really crisp, it's a 13MP camera, but I find at long distances it just can't do what a good camera can do.. You notice it when you take pictures of trees, etc at 100+ yards and zoom in, you can't pick out the leaves like you could with SLR, but it does good enough I can rarely be bothered to carry the SLR around unless I know I am going to have a great day for pictures. It's also one less step to transfer the pictures to photobucket.

Nice videos but that bell has to drive her nuts cause it drove me nuts in the few seconds i watched of the clip lol

They don't mind the bell at all, they're quite proud to be 'special' and wear it

Does the youtube tag work for you? can you see it on CT or do you have to go watch it by clicking the link? Anyone know what's going on with that?

Funny how they all act the same when they want to be rubbed. The funny thing with the mouth, the lowering of the head, the expression on the face...great video quality just a little shaky. It helps to brace the camera against a shovel handle or something that works like a tripod.

Nesi, it may be cold but live in some absolutely beautiful country! I think that every time you post pictures.

But I do agree with Sky.
skyhightree1":1bkybbu8 said:
Nice videos but that bell has to drive her nuts cause it drove me nuts in the few seconds i watched of the clip lol

Why do you put the bell on her, do they have access to open range?

Toad, that was a hilarious night! Did you read the description?

Shaky video comes with that kind of cold y'know.. I freehanded them all, and I have yet to see a cell phone with a tripod mount (hint hint Samsung!)

I like the sound of the bells, I guess it's part of my roots, I was born in Switzerland. They don't go on the range. I found it helps un-spook some flighty calves, they get used to noise (around their neck at that), and after a while they just ignore it

They do, they have pretty good fur. That little heifer calf has quite the pelt on her. The furriest calf I think I've ever had was a full sister to the grandmother (the one I rubbed the icicles off), I think she had close to 2 1/2" long hair, and this was still in october. Given some time to adjust, the cows handle any weather we get without shelter, Thursday night they could have used it though, it was miserable because of the wind and freezing rain, but they do OK at 100F in full sun too, just have to make sure the water is always flowing.

Latest posts