A couple of Red Gelbvieh Bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
My buddy has some real good Gelbvieh calves this year here's a couple of them that will go to test this fall. Both are Oct calves Both weaned around 650lbs

DSCF1319_edited.jpg

DSCF1336_edited.jpg

What kind of bull tests is it that they start at a year old?

Most of them around here the go in at 8-9 months and come off the test at a year old

Jovid":1mjq9prv said:
What kind of bull tests is it that they start at a year old?

Most of them around here the go in at 8-9 months and come off the test at a year old

They are going to a test for a sale.

Being the always critical one I don't mind them but I'd like to see him lower in the flank and a bit deeper in the hind quarter. You can kind of see how he doesn't flow through from his first 2/3. He's got a good wide stance though so he should get thick, and he's definitely a growthy bull. :nod:

Sometimes I think you like my criticism 3way

aussie_cowgirl":g3v2gsuh said:
Being the always critical one I don't mind them but I'd like to see him lower in the flank and a bit deeper in the hind quarter. You can kind of see how he doesn't flow through from his first 2/3. He's got a good wide stance though so he should get thick, and he's definitely a growthy bull. :nod:

Who do you like better. The friend who will let you walk around all day with food stuck in your front teeth or the one who tells you it's there?

3waycross":g4sryd2e said:
aussie_cowgirl":g4sryd2e said:

Who do you like better. The friend who will let you walk around all day with food stuck in your front teeth or the one who tells you it's there?

Ah true :lol2:

Gelbvieh were initially a dual purpose breed before being selected more for beef traits during the last 30-40 years.

redcowsrule33":2nfw8vki said:
Gelbvieh were initially a dual purpose breed before being selected more for beef traits during the last 30-40 years.

I knew that I just didn't think they had EVER been selected for Dairy since they came over here. I personally don't see the DAIRY in that calf . Does anyone else. The first one sure seems beefy enuf though.

Looks like a beef bull to me too but the pic makes him look lighter in the lower quarter and sharp over the shoulders. A more flattering view might change my mind - over the top rear end pictures are hard to get good shots of.