A couple more heifer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here are a couple heifers that we ARE considering as replacements. We want to keep about 30 total, and a few of the bigger(older) ones are getting culled out for various reasons so we are looking hard at some of our younger and smaller girls.

The first one is #70, she is sired by a Red Angus bull and out of a Tarentaise x cow.
Born Apr 15
BW 77 lbs
Weighed Oct 20
491 lbs
ADG 2.20 lbs/day
View attachment 1
The second one is also sired by a Red Angus bull and is out of a Red Angus x cow
Born Apr 10
BW 81 lbs
Weighed Oct 20
495 lbs
ADG 2.15 lbs/day

I especially like the second heifer. The first one is nice, but she doesn't look very balanced...though it could be the way she is standing. Looks like she tapers off too much in the front end.

baxter78":3udhcles said:
randiliana":3udhcles said:
Here are a couple heifers that we ARE considering as replacements. We want to keep about 30 total, and a few of the bigger(older) ones are getting culled out for various reasons so we are looking hard at some of our younger and smaller girls.

The first one is #70, she is sired by a Red Angus bull and out of a Tarentaise x cow.
Born Apr 15
BW 77 lbs
Weighed Oct 20
491 lbs
ADG 2.20 lbs/day
View attachment 1
The second one is also sired by a Red Angus bull and is out of a Red Angus x cow
Born Apr 10
BW 81 lbs
Weighed Oct 20
495 lbs
ADG 2.15 lbs/day

You do realize that every time you keep a sucky weaning weight heifer that you are putting that genetics back in your herd and will continue on with sucky weaning weights until they are in the 2-300 pound range eventually. If you are selling pounds this is producer suicide.

You know, baxter, I do know my business. These two are pretty decent heifers. We are NOT running 1500 lb cows here, and while it would be nice if all these 1100-1200 lb cows would wean off a 700 lb calf, that is just not a reasonable expectation. Figure out their 205 day weights, and they are 520 and 528 lbs. Not too bad in MY opinion. High growth isn't the only thing to look at!!

Randy: I am shocked that you don't know that the way to pure profit is to wean 1000 lb calves ;-) You'd better get on that or you will be weaning 200 pounders soon. :)

You know 78 I like to pick out of the middle of my heifers for replacements, there's always some smart a$$ that wants the few big ones anyway.By takeing the middle you can keep a handle on mature cow size and breed them to a terminal sire.It's not how much you make it's how much you keep that counts.

baxter78":1skche02 said:
I think randy if you was to get some of those imbalancers from your herd and use dematrius as a herd bull your weaning weights would be 1000 pounds of grass and mothers milk. It is something to think about.
baxter78-

I just took your advice, and thought about "...1000 pounds of grass and mother's milk"..., and have come to this conclusion: the Dams of 1000# weaners would have to weigh an average of 2000# ( not too thrifty given the "Rule-of-Thumb" of the calves weighing 50% of their dams' weight at weaning time), AND the dam's Milk EPD's would be close to +40++ or more! Realizing that the antagonistic traits of Milk and low birth vs. Weaning Weights, Scrotal size and Fertility would be getting in each others way, Dematrius (Sp??) would have to be SOME kind of a Maternal Sire to overcome those negatives!! :shock: Also - the "grass" would have to be some Super-Genetic Forage to boot- unless I am missing something in the process. :?

DOC HARRIS