A couple Hereford show heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
I'd like some input on a few heifers.
I had a terrible time getting pictures, so here I'm going to show a couple of each heifer to hopefully get an all around view of what they look like. More shots are available at: http://imageevent.com/chowar2/cattlepictures/picturesfeb222006

A June heifer sired by a son of Kootenay:
DCP_1185.JPG

DCP_1201.JPG

A March heifer sired by a son of Kootenay(different bull from above): (cert, you saw this one at the Buckeye Futurity)
DCP_1192.JPG

DCP_1191.JPG

A January heifer, sired by a maternal brother to Reload:
DCP_1164.JPG

DCP_1171.JPG

Any idea on their weights Chris? The little march heifer is still looking good. Still a mite pinched in the heart but I like her.

The june heifer looks real good. Lots of guts but again, pinched in the heart. Might just be the angle of the pictures too.

What do you plan to breed them too?

Good luck to ya this year. I imagine I'll see ya around.

It's been a 6-8 weeks since we weighed them so I'll take a guess at their weights now. The June heifer 725, March heifer 950, January heifer 1,000.
The March heifer does still look tight in the chest but she is so broad she outweighs all the other March heifers by at least 75 pounds, even the ones that have been pampered for show.
The June heifer isn't too tight, but she's really broad and well sprung ribs. Her flank is much deeper than the March heifer.
The January heifer has more 'leather' on her neck than the other two, but I like them that way. That January heifer has begun to blossom over the last month.

Breeding: The March & June heifers will probably be AI'd to a full brother of P606. I bought some semen from Doug Banks last year. The January heifer will probably be bred to the sire of the June heifer.

Only thing missing from the pics is a few horns.

These gals are pointy headed - I like the flat tops better. Love those horns trained down.

They'll do. Good luck on the trail.

Bez!

Thanks all. My money is on the June heifer, too. Our grandson will be 7 in July. We'll be working that heifer for him to show at a couple county fairs and we'll take her to some state fairs. Hope to put her in his name for next year and turn him loose with the junior shows. Only bad thing is she comes from a line of cows that deliberately step on your foot and stop. She hasn't done it yet but I bet she will. Can you get kid size steel toed shoes?

Latest posts