A couple animals for you all to look at...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I showed this Red Angus heifer last year (Doc Holliday x Enterprise), I was wondering what you think about continuing to show her. The steer is a home grown All About You calf out of a Who Made Who x Angus cow, and is my sister's steer prospect this year, what do you think about him? Sorry, not the best pics...

From the pics provided the heifer is fair. I would like to see her more level through out her body. I would also like to see her deeper in her flank and chest floor. The steer is pretty good for a home grown calf. Seems to be fairly clean fronted. Would like to see him a little straighter through his rear legs. Overall can't tell much from his pics, would like to see some better ones.

The heifer relaxes her back after standing for a while. I was curious about her because she won reserve champ overall female at the state fair and the judge encouraged me to take her to national shows.

Then listen to the judge. He was the one standing in the ring judging a state fair, not me. You can't expect someone to evaluate an animal from a bad picture as correctly as someone who is looking at the animal in person.

I like the heifer. Deep bodied, good rib. She looks a little high in the hip. The steer looks like he needs to eat more, but being this early and assuming you are going to show him at county fair or later, i say he's fine.

I really like that heifer, she's worth showing. Lazy topped animals are a pain. I've had some like that. When you are standing her, every few scratches, take your cattle cane, hook it into her navel and give a sharp tug. Preferably when the judge isnt looking. She will straighten out.

Heifer looks good to me, long and feminine, structurally sound, would like to see a behind shot.

the steer should be a fairly decent calf and should do pretty well. the heifer i am not fond of. she is a bit keen boned and not level on top [runs downhill badly] i would like to see her deeper through her chest as well.

grandchaser & aussie-
sorry, the pictures don't really do her justice, your comments make sense, but she is a purebred red angus and she will not have great expression in her hind end and will be more fine boned than other breeds. she doesn't run downhill, she's at an angle (blame it on my bad photography). i'd update you all on her, but she has a calf at the ground and is no longer in show condition, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

thanks for the comments everyone. the bull calf the heifer has at her side will be a late bloomer, so she will probably not be shown this year. i'll update steer pictures when my sister gets going again on him.

I know, my school used to breed red angus. I don't like them so much because of the fine bone and what not on them. Which is why I was glad we started getting semen imported with length of hind quarter on them. She is a good representation of the breed though. I just attribute the sloped back to her not having grown out yet. Happened a lot with ours. They are typically small heifers but always grow out to be big mamas.

showing71":3rleugpj said:
Ryan":3rleugpj said:
showing71":3rleugpj said:
What's the breeding on the heifer?

red angus shower":3rleugpj said:
I showed this Red Angus heifer last year (Doc Holliday x Enterprise)
Thanks Ryan, I was just gonna edit the post I made. Do you have EPDs on her?
CED 1
BW .6
WW 40
YW 76
MILK 23
TM 43
ME 5
HPG 7
CEM 4
STAY 6
MARB .09
REA -.12
FAT .01

Top 10% in WW, top 4% in YW, top 10% in milk (not a big factor for me), top 5% in TM. Not the greatest carcass traits, but that all depends on what you're breeding for. Stayability should get better as she has more calves. Not bad numbers.

red angus shower":33203fil said:
grandchaser & aussie-
sorry, the pictures don't really do her justice, your comments make sense, but she is a purebred red angus and she will not have great expression in her hind end and will be more fine boned than other breeds. she doesn't run downhill, she's at an angle (blame it on my bad photography). i'd update you all on her, but she has a calf at the ground and is no longer in show condition, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

thanks for the comments everyone. the bull calf the heifer has at her side will be a late bloomer, so she will probably not be shown this year. i'll update steer pictures when my sister gets going again on him.

I'd like to see a pic of her now with calf at foot ...

Latest posts