A Chicken Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Can chickens prolapse? I guess anything can prolapse, but I saw something today I have never seen in my seven plus years of having chickens. I have a Black Austrolorp that is just dragging her tail, literally. Looks swollen. Nothing appears to be hanging out. She's getting around awful slow. I am about scared to catch her and look. She's about two years old.

Funny question, but I thought someone on here might have some experience.

i dont have any experience, yet, but yes, chickens can prolapse. you may also want to check her for an inbound egg.

yes they can an do prolapse.an if that happens they never lay again.nor do they live very long.

I haven't had a hen with that diagnosis for a while. Back home when we had laying hens we called it "blow out" Yup! no hen survived that ordeal. :(

mermill2":31527nbd said:
yes I have seen it happen to mine.Usually mine have died or were pecked to death by other chickens shortly thereafter.

Isn't it funny how if one of the hens gets hurt the others will pounce on it and kill it?

Thanks everyone. I thought that might be what's happened, but I have never seen it . Beefy, I aint going in there! I loke my chickens and all, but not that up close and personal. She's been like this for maybe a week. I keep expecting to find her dead but she's not. I guess if she can't lay eggs anymore, then I should consider the stew pot for her.

Do not eat something that has been sick that long!!!!!!!!
She probilly has a very large egg stuck..Get her out of her misery-hurry-
If chicks are picking eathother,use Desiden baby ointment on the wounds--it must taste awful,cause they'll try it once,and once only.. :lol:

peg4x4":2dw978r2 said:
Do not eat something that has been sick that long!!!!!!!!
She probilly has a very large egg stuck..Get her out of her misery-hurry-
If chicks are picking eathother,use Desiden baby ointment on the wounds--it must taste awful,cause they'll try it once,and once only.. :lol:

I was kinda kidding about the stew pot. I don't like the idea of eating a sick animal, either. I am gonna put her out of her misery today. Bless her heart, she's gone on long enough and I am not gonna get all up in there so see what's stuck.

Lammie, You have our sympathy. No matter how much you love your chickens, sometimes things just go a foul. Good luck, Tom :cboy:

Lammie it seems that things like this has to happen on the farm. It's never a easy thing to put down one of your animals but sometimes the best. I had to put down my blue healer a while back for killing chickens and almost killed a calf. Was not an easy thing to do but a necessary thing.

Cal

Calman":1dds0lbp said:
Lammie it seems that things like this has to happen on the farm. It's never a easy thing to put down one of your animals but sometimes the best. I had to put down my blue healer a while back for killing chickens and almost killed a calf. Was not an easy thing to do but a necessary thing.

Cal

It's just a chicken. Happens all the time around here. I think they hatch looking for ways to die.