A Calico Buck.

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
I got this email the other day. A calico buck shot in WI. It's sure is different. So the story goes,the owner of Cabela's paid 13,000 for the head and hide.
image0031.jpg

image0021.jpg

image0011.jpg

They say a calico deer is more rare than an albino

K2011

Reaction score
It is also called a PIEBALD deer...the rarest of deer "colors" is MELANISTIC - that looks like a nice buck

dun

Reaction score
In the late 50s early 60s the deer herd at the Presidio in San Diego had an occasioanl all white and even more occasioanlly a piebald deer. There was a big movement at the time to protect them. As more and more highways were built around it that became pretty much a moot point since they were no smarter then the normally colored deer and got hit on the roads too.

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
A paint white-tail deer. :shock: Until now I've never heard or seen of one before.

I assume it would be just like the mutation that causes a horse to get that piebald colouration or appaloosa...obviously.

HerefordSire

Reaction score
It seems to me this is mother natures way of providing camaflouge (sp).

A genetic variation (defect) produces the piebald condition in white-tailed deer, not parasites or diseases. Piebald deer are colored white and brown similar to a pinto pony. Sometimes they appear almost entirely white. In addition to this coloration, many have some of the following observable conditions: bowing of the nose (Roman nose), short legs, arching spine (scoliosis), and short lower jaws. This genetic condition is rare with typically less than one percent of white-tailed deer being affected.

http://www.buckmanager.com/2007/07/17/p ... -are-they/

Here is the link to the net writeup about this deer.

http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/11/24/p ... ast-texas/

cfpinz

Reaction score
We've got a little piebald deer living on our farm now. All white except for a brown spot on his neck and left rear quarter. Neat looking thing. Wife calls it her "super goat". I let one of my friends hunt here, she told him if he shoots her little deer she's going to shoot him.

Latest posts