• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Calico Buck.

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
I got this email the other day. A calico buck shot in WI. It's sure is different. So the story goes,the owner of Cabela's paid 13,000 for the head and hide.

They say a calico deer is more rare than an albino

K2011

Reaction score
It is also called a PIEBALD deer...the rarest of deer "colors" is MELANISTIC - that looks like a nice buck

skyline

Reaction score
Joy, looks like it would fit in well on your place! I never heard of a paint deer before.

bigbull338

Reaction score
i was thinking the samething.1st tinme in my life i ever seen a paint buck.

alacattleman

Reaction score
K2011":35p764j5 said:
It is also called a PIEBALD deer...the rarest of deer "colors" is MELANISTIC - that looks like a nice buck
yep,, ive seen one on a trail camera before

dun

Reaction score
In the late 50s early 60s the deer herd at the Presidio in San Diego had an occasioanl all white and even more occasioanlly a piebald deer. There was a big movement at the time to protect them. As more and more highways were built around it that became pretty much a moot point since they were no smarter then the normally colored deer and got hit on the roads too.

KNERSIE

Reaction score
grannysoo":3c51vz3v said:
That's a mighty fine looking goat........ :lol:

Reckon his dam had relations with Joy's paint beefmaster bull?

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
A paint white-tail deer. :shock: Until now I've never heard or seen of one before.

I assume it would be just like the mutation that causes a horse to get that piebald colouration or appaloosa...obviously.

HerefordSire

Reaction score
It seems to me this is mother natures way of providing camaflouge (sp).

A genetic variation (defect) produces the piebald condition in white-tailed deer, not parasites or diseases. Piebald deer are colored white and brown similar to a pinto pony. Sometimes they appear almost entirely white. In addition to this coloration, many have some of the following observable conditions: bowing of the nose (Roman nose), short legs, arching spine (scoliosis), and short lower jaws. This genetic condition is rare with typically less than one percent of white-tailed deer being affected.

http://www.buckmanager.com/2007/07/17/p ... -are-they/

Here is the link to the net writeup about this deer.

http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/11/24/p ... ast-texas/

cfpinz

Reaction score
We've got a little piebald deer living on our farm now. All white except for a brown spot on his neck and left rear quarter. Neat looking thing. Wife calls it her "super goat". I let one of my friends hunt here, she told him if he shoots her little deer she's going to shoot him.

Calman

Reaction score
Looks like it got some longhorn in the woodpile some where.
Reckon it's a new breed.

Cal

Latest posts