A bit of a rant...

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Camped over the 4th of July weekend on rented ground ... the ones whom rent it for hunting rights thru a fit. It's summer? That got hashed out. 40k a year to the hunting folks, 2k. So, let's talk dollars.

Yesterday, when checking on another pasture, saw a vehicle out there and it was a gentleman who was shooting prairie dogs. Good dog town. Well, he says he got permission from the landlord and our "gate was down"... we'll address that with landlord. Our pairs are out there! I got the mans name and plate # on his vehicle. My husband told him we have cows grazing and he'd appreciate that he be courteous enough not to shoot there, that if he did have permission to be there, he kindly wait till we rotate them out of there in the next two weeks.

My husband doesn't want to make a stink (1st year renting this) but I think it's a bunch of BS! We already found a dead cow at another pasture yesterday (lightning)... we don't need another!

We have other ground that has hunting rights by another group that now has 6 stands (trailers) out there for blinds that aren't the best tenants (garbage, beer cans, etc...) and not to mention several that are situated among our own rented ground that appears the only good shots they'd have is across our fence.

Why do landlords need to squeeze that extra $2-3k off the ground? Nothing but problems but pasture around here is scarce.

Any of you deal with these situations? Am I just being grumpy?

All I know is, around my area, if a parcel of land is rented out, whether it be to hunting folks or grazing or hay, generally there is only 1 renter. Only double rent that I know of, is a place that rents it out for hay in summer and hunting lease in the fall thru spring.

Renting to shooters and cattle grazers, at the same time, is new to me. But, that just may be my area.

That's capitalism. Just lease the hunting rights along with the grazing rights, and your problem is solved. I suppose another option would be to only run cattle or go camping on land you own. Rent pastures can be easy and profitable, but they can be a PITA as well. What part of NE?

HDRider":2c4ardgw said:
I would not rent land that was rented to someone else to hunt.

Me neither. Somehow, somewhere, sometime for some reason, there will be a dispute between the two renters and I wouldn't want to be a part of it as a renter or an owner.........regardless of what the contract may or may not say. Maybe I'm just getting too old to want to deal with BS.

Workinonit Farm":3ebi68mi said:
HDRider":3ebi68mi said:

Me neither. Somehow, somewhere, sometime for some reason, there will be a dispute between the two renters and I wouldn't want to be a part of it as a renter or an owner.........regardless of what the contract may or may not say. Maybe I'm just getting too old to want to deal with BS.

I see nothing but downside. Cows gets shot. Cow runs from gunshots. Bull charges hunter. Broken glass in the pasture, and on and on.

Workinonit Farm":1s0q4qrd said:
All I know is, around my area, if a parcel of land is rented out, whether it be to hunting folks or grazing or hay, generally there is only 1 renter. Only double rent that I know of, is a place that rents it out for hay in summer and hunting lease in the fall thru spring.

Renting to shooters and cattle grazers, at the same time, is new to me. But, that just may be my area.

He hasn't rented it to the prairie dog man but should never have, in my opinion, gave him permission to be on it while our cows are there.

HDRider":1qpl8usc said:
Workinonit Farm":1qpl8usc said:
HDRider":1qpl8usc said:

I see nothing but downside. Cows gets shot. Cow runs from gunshots. Bull charges hunter. Broken glass in the pasture, and on and on.

Exactly! I was intimidated even checking cows! Nothing like shots fired while your driving your rig.

I pretty much disagree. Here it is normal to have hunting and grazing lease at the same time. I lease 3 property's that also have hunting leases on them . I own a 245 acre place that I receive 6000.00 for the hunting.
The only property I'm involved with that didn't have a hunting lease is my home place.
Around here hunting goes for 25 s acre plus
Grazing seven to ten dollars. So you better learn to get along. A hunting lease includes camping rights. Grazing doesn't.
I honestly check my cattle less during hunting season because I know my hunters will let me know if something is wrong.

I lease two pastures that are also leased to duck hunters. My cows are long gone by the time they are hunting but they are still a pain in my neck. They want to work on their duck blinds while my cows are there. They leave gates open, march right through the cows, and leave old lumber laying around. I have taken to telling them that I have a bad bull or cow in the pasture just to keep them away from the cows.

callmefence":1uun6ggk said:
I pretty much disagree. Here it is normal to have hunting and grazing lease at the same time. I lease 3 property's that also have hunting leases on them . I own a 245 acre place that I receive 6000.00 for the hunting.
The only property I'm involved with that didn't have a hunting lease is my home place.
Grazing seven to ten dollars. So you better learn to get along. A hunting lease includes camping rights. Grazing doesn't.
I honestly check my cattle less during hunting season because I know my hunters will let me know if something is wrong.
With all the big cities in Texas, I'd think they descend on everything, regardless of price.

I am sure it is common, but I am happy not to contend with it.

Dave":142f4rez said:
I lease two pastures that are also leased to duck hunters. My cows are long gone by the time they are hunting but they are still a pain in my neck. They want to work on their duck blinds while my cows are there. They leave gates open, march right through the cows, and leave old lumber laying around. I have taken to telling them that I have a bad bull or cow in the pasture just to keep them away from the cows.
When we lived in the ca central valley we flood irrigated and had one field that was right next to a road. Because it was sloped there were berms across it so the water wood pool then run over to the next berm, pool, etc. The cock pheasants used to pick a territory that had a berm and would parade back and forth. Peopel would cruise the road and spot those birds then pile over the barb wire fence and blast away. We had one big cow (1600 lbs) that loved company. During bird season I always left her in that field. If someone climbed the fence she would take off running at them blatting and kicking. The first year I found a lot of pices of jeans and shirts hung up on the wire. Didn;t have any problems in the years after that. Even when she wasn;t there people would slow down sometimes stop, then would move on down the road.
Well I thought it was hilarious.

HDRider":56ja4pz5 said:
callmefence":56ja4pz5 said:
With all the big cities in Texas, I'd think they descend on everything, regardless of price.

I am sure it is common, but I am happy not to contend with it.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

If it works, good for all involved, especially the landowner. like HD, I personally, would rather not deal with it.

callmefence":1ejcjj3g said:

All our pasture rented is attached to fields we farm. We're writing checks to these landlords for 30,000-100,000. Do you have fields farmed too or just pasture? Just curious because another set of problems is having cows on stocks after harvest and the hunters out there during deer season. We've moved a few herds off of stocks in some fields right before deer season, just so we don't lose a cow. It is a shame not to get the full value of those stocks.

Going into contracts next year, certainly revisiting this issue. We had one guy lose his trailer/camper during a December wind storm. Blew it to sticks and it was all over our corn field. Played heck trying to get him to travel back down and get it cleaned up so we could start working that field. My opinion, these hunting folks think they run the place!

NEFarmwife":3bqchtqr said:
callmefence":3bqchtqr said:

All our pasture rented is attached to fields we farm. We're writing checks to these landlords for 30,000-100,000. Do you have fields farmed too or just pasture? Just curious because another set of problems is having cows on stocks after harvest and the hunters out there during deer season. We've moved a few herds off of stocks in some fields right before deer season, just so we don't lose a cow. It is a shame not to get the full value of those stocks.

Going into contracts next year, certainly revisiting this issue. We had one guy lose his trailer/camper during a December wind storm. Blew it to sticks and it was all over our corn field. Played heck trying to get him to travel back down and get it cleaned up so we could start working that field. My opinion, these hunting folks think they run the place!

No ma'am. We do no farming except oats, hybrid Sudan for grazing. And I've had hunters pitch in on seed. I'm very selective about my hunters and try to get along instead of making enemies. I often hunt on my home place with cows in the field. I have had one calf shot by a young and excited Hunter who mistook the calf in low light for a pig. His father called me and played the damages.
In my contract it states the hunters on the lease. No guest are allowed without a member of the lease present. Each member has his own lock so if a gate is left open we know who did it. I don't allow alcohol outside camp area.
I visit with them regularly, I give them advice on where I've been seeing game. The help with chores, maintenance and contribute to income.
Nobody is spending a 100,000.00 in rent here, that's for sure. Your not paying that for grazing. .No malice intended but it seems you have the attitude you own the place. It might be better to get along. :2cents:

I had a buddy that leased a big place in Young co Tx.
He got in a squabble with the hunters over tearing up the road and getting off the road and tearing up the grass.
So the hunters went to the landowner and leased the grass for nearly double what my buddy was paying.

Cross-7":3r3pi0js said:
I had a buddy that leased a big place in Young co Tx.
He got in a squabble with the hunters over tearing up the road and getting off the road and tearing up the grass.
So the hunters went to the landowner and leased the grass for nearly double what my buddy was paying.
Money talks......

No. But I feel the money we spend, shouldn't come with the headaches of lousy hunters. If they were all as you described, it wouldn't be an issue. We hunt our private land. We "get" the desire to hunt. We just wish more people were as you described, when they're leasing from our landlords.
callmefence":274qtmtl said:
NEFarmwife":274qtmtl said:
callmefence":274qtmtl said:

No ma'am. We do no farming except oats, hybrid Sudan for grazing. And I've had hunters pitch in on seed. I'm very selective about my hunters and try to get along instead of making enemies. I often hunt on my home place with cows in the field. I have had one calf shot by a young and excited Hunter who mistook the calf in low light for a pig. His father called me and played the damages.
In my contract it states the hunters on the lease. No guest are allowed without a member of the lease present. Each member has his own lock so if a gate is left open we know who did it. I don't allow alcohol outside camp area.
I visit with them regularly, I give them advice on where I've been seeing game. The help with chores, maintenance and contribute to income.
Nobody is spending a 100,000.00 in rent here, that's for sure. Your not paying that for grazing. .No malice intended but it seems you have the attitude you own the place. It might be better to get along. :2cents:

Workinonit Farm":1eexi41k said:

Here its the same way but i have land I lease that no one can hunt my portion but a wooded area behind the land owner allows certain people to hunt which I knew going into the deal and before hunting season starts I move my cattle closer to home anyway so it works out.

Latest posts