A Big Weekend Ahead

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
For all you praying folks, please remember us this weekend. :) We're hosting ten 9th grade boys from our church youth group at our home for a weekend of fun and discipleship. Our church youth group does this one weekend a year and it is a highlight of our year. About 36 hours of excitement. Saturday evening, after enjoying burgers, the entire bunch of about 200 kids gets together and plays a big game that's kinda like king of the hill or commando in a pine plantation in the dark. The only folks with flashlights are the adult leaders. (It is a blast.) By Sunday morning, after going strong all weekend, they are pretty well worn out. I'll get back with you on Monday if we survive it again... Gotta go now, they're starting to show up.

Sounds like a blast! Should be a rewarding weekend for all.

dont let all those kids tire you out to much.id hate to have 200 kids in 1 place.because its going tobe mighty loud.

skyline":26d5b9r2 said:
For all you praying folks, please remember us this weekend. :) We're hosting ten 9th grade boys from our church youth group at our home for a weekend of fun and discipleship. Our church youth group does this one weekend a year and it is a highlight of our year. About 36 hours of excitement. Saturday evening, after enjoying burgers, the entire bunch of about 200 kids gets together and plays a big game that's kinda like king of the hill or commando in a pine plantation in the dark. The only folks with flashlights are the adult leaders. (It is a blast.) By Sunday morning, after going strong all weekend, they are pretty well worn out. I'll get back with you on Monday if we survive it again... Gotta go now, they're starting to show up.

Hey skyline...... :D
Thanks for your investment of time and energy in "our future". These youth are our future and deserve the attention they are receiving from your group. We can only share in the benefits from your unselfish efforts. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

Our thought and prayers go with you and your group this weekend.
(P.S. post us later on the details and events..........)

Thanks again,
HUS

A quick update....

These kids are amazing. Polite, helpful, respectful, and fun!

Jogee, I've got some new thoughts on your early age stroke theories. You should see the pile of junk food they brought!

Last night.... ping pong, trampolene, basketball, running around and hiding in the dark... Fun stuff. And some good time in the Word.

We cooked a lumberjack breakfast for them this morning and they ate every bit of it and cleaned up afterwards!

Tonight is shaping up to be quite an event. It rained this morning, so we'll have some mud and it's supposed to be in the 30's at game time.

More later...

Junk food!?! No way! Bug juice, smoors, slim jim's, little debbie snack cakes are good staples if you wash them down with skittles, kit kats and some more bug juice. Then roasted marshmellows! :nod: :kid:

Well, the weekend turned out great. My family fell in love with the boys and I think my wife would adopt them...

More details on the big game last night. We played it in a tree farm, probably about 30 acres. Well maintained tree farm with a good blanket of pine straw on the ground and almost no undergrowth, so you can move around really well in the trees. Boundaries are roads and clearings and fences, so nobody can get lost. The adults go into the woods with flashlights and hunker down. Then they turn the 200+ kids loose in the trees without flashlights. Each kid has a bean. The youth leader roams around throughout the game with a bullhorn occasionally giving away his position. The object is for the kids to get to the youth leader, who then trades them a bead for their bean. If an adult hears or sees a kid and shines their flashlight on them, the kid has to stop. The adult then has the ability to either take the bean away from the kid or have them do something fun like singing a silly song in Operatic voice, or singing their school fight song, or reciting a bible verse, or whatever silly thing the adult requests. If an adult takes their bean, the kid has to go back to the starting table and get another bean and then start all over again trying to find the youth leader. At the end of the game, the kid team with the most beads wins.

My wife and I use the "still hunting" approach. We go into the woods, sit under a tree, and stay very quiet and still. It's funny when the kids stumble into us. We never do take any beans... :) Although some of the more gung ho adults take beans every time.

All in all it was a great weekend and I'm really proud of the boys that stayed with us. Our future is bright with young men like them. I look forward to watching them grow up.

HUS":jdt99h2k said:
Thanks for your investment of time and energy in "our future".

Hus, I can tell you this, it is a joy and a privalege to do it. I think we get more blessings out of the time we spend with them than vice-versa. Thanks.

skyline":2mmjreew said:
HUS":2mmjreew said:
Thanks for your investment of time and energy in "our future".

Hus, I can tell you this, it is a joy and a privalege to do it. I think we get more blessings out of the time we spend with them than vice-versa. Thanks.
Ditto what HUS said.
Ditto what skyline said.

BTW-Can I play next time?
:banana:

Latest posts