A bald calf????

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokeStackFarms

Reaction score
I came up on one of the calves born Feb 24--- This calf has three spots on her head that are bald!
Yesterday she is ok.
Is that possible that she found a scratching place that would cause this??
Have ask neighbors--just got a laugh.
Should I laugh or start shopping for a hair implant?? :roll:

It could be she is rubbing or it could be ringworm or a skin infection of some sort. See if you can get a hold of the calf and get a closer look at it, then go from there if it needs to be treated.

I agree with LoveMoo. Also, I would give the calf a shot of vitamins A, D and E, and make sure the cow has full access to loose mineral.

I have literally been scratching my head!!! :?:
This condition has gotten worse.
A sweet little lady who has been raising cattle all her life--she is 85-- told me the calf has lice!.
So I have oiled the rubs and put medicine in the oil/diesel.
That little calf has taken to the rub---will now be seeing a oily head calf.
Will keep things updated.
Has any one gotten lice??
Kids in school get lice--so I guess the calves get lice @ their nursery time. :cry2:

What about your other cattle? Are they rubbing hair off also? You will probably need to treat all your cattle to help this lice problem. Lice are really bad this time of year.

Circle H Ranch

I am sure they are exposed--I am planning on getting them in the pen and do some dusting.
I am a bit concerned if I do more than dusting--i.e.. spraying a solution and spraying some of their favorite areas and hay ring --will it affect the nursing momma and mommas due any day?? :help:

SmokeStackFarms":2lqahla4 said:
I came up on one of the calves born Feb 24--- This calf has three spots on her head that are bald!
Yesterday she is ok.
Is that possible that she found a scratching place that would cause this??
Have ask neighbors--just got a laugh.
Should I laugh or start shopping for a hair implant?? :roll:

Time to shove a thermometer up its arse and take it's temperature. May be running a fever. :cowboy:

HI, I had a heiford that had 2 spot of bald and then another one came the vet said it was lise or if it was ringworm it would be ruff skin.
with it was. so i i treat it . but got worse the vet came and took a sample of it and took it back to grow . about 3 weeks later call and said it was not ringworm . but to treat it with Iodine. every day . i sprayed it on real heavy. but now it is all gone and hair grown back.

have a good day :)