A&A scales

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I finally bought a set of these scales. They had them on eBay for around 200$ I know a couple people said they have them. The guy that sells them said that they are ok to mount under the squeeze chute. Do any of you that have them use them that way ?

pricefarm":13igzmmc said:
I finally bought a set of these scales. They had them on eBay for around 200$ I know a couple people said they have them. The guy that sells them said that they are ok to mount under the squeeze chute. Do any of you that have them use them that way ?

I have them and also as mentioned have it before the chute... The scale works good ... However I hope you never have to contact them for help to put it mildly they are A.H's

pricefarm":3ti00ex1 said:
bball":3ti00ex1 said:
I have mine under a platform immediately before the chute.

How come you chose to do that instead of putting them under the chute?

It allows me portability for other locations and i had read where these lower end of the spectrum load cells dont hold up as well under a chute. Im happy with them for the little bit of money i have in the set up. If i was running a few 100 calves across it every year, i probably would have went with a more high dollar brand, but so far, im pleased with the A&A.

Bright Raven":2vh35crg said:
bball":2vh35crg said:

Describe that in more detail, please.

I have the load cells attached to an 8 foot steel platform. The cows come through a slide gate, step up 2 and half inches onto the platform, i swing the door for the palp cage to close off the lane. Now the cow is standing on a platform being weighed in a 27" × 8' compartment. Once i get the weight, open palp cage door, cow moves forward into chute. When im done weighing, i disconnect the display for scales and leave the platform in place. Come winter, i remove the platform all together and store in the barn until early spring.

bball":1yyttaoi said:
Bright Raven":1yyttaoi said:
bball":1yyttaoi said:

I have the load cells attached to an 8 foot steel platform. The cows come through a slide gate, step up 2 and half inches onto the platform, i swing the door for the palp cage to close off the lane. Now the cow is standing on a platform being weighed in a 27" × 8' compartment. Once i get the weight, open palp cage door, cow moves forward into chute. When im done weighing, i disconnect the display for scales and leave the platform in place. Come winter, i remove the platform all together and store in the barn until early spring.

Thank you. That would be perfect for my arrangement and I need a scales.

bball":2t68zn5p said:
Bright Raven":2t68zn5p said:
bball":2t68zn5p said:

How did you make your platform ? Would 2" square tubing 1/8" thick be strong enough you think ?

I made my platform out of 3/16" steel diamond plate that I had bent into a pan shape and then had it Galvanized. The mounts for the load cells were welded directly to the the plate. No other support was needed. The thing I had trouble with was the platform sliding some to where the it would be touching a post. This would make the weight wrong. Easy to fix, just pull it back to where it was suppose to be but was an annoyance. The rubber feet were on a 4 x 6 buried to surface level.

I much prefer the scales under the chute, but I don't think I would put a cheaper set under a chute. Its much to difficult to remove them when you have a problem.

pricefarm":2xl6j0wk said:
bball":2xl6j0wk said:
Bright Raven":2xl6j0wk said:

How did you make your platform ? Would 2" square tubing 1/8" thick be strong enough you think ?

I went with 1" square tubing and 1/4" diamond plate top. Heavy enough for sure. Have had several bulls go across with no issues. I wanted to keep it lower profile so no animals would balk at 'stepping up' onto it. Its also heavy enough with the tubing that it doesnt slide. You could certainly use 2", but it will be a heavy son to move by hand(if portability was a concern).

M & P":3mxczvjs said:
http://www.scaledynasty.com/Livestock-Alleyway-Scale-Optima-929-p/op-929-8430.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAmvjRBRBlEiwAWFc1mOAuKZ3hzzlKf9BYz8JW9M_-NjZ6DiiSrttj7cB2UkPSn1oG07xe8RoCaYQQAvD_BwE

This is what I have only had it for a year now no problems yet I like it

that looks pretty nice.

Latest posts