$999.00 per side for organic beef

Help Support CattleToday:

5minpins

Reaction score
there is an ad on craigslist right now for Organic beef, 999 bucks per half, hanging weight 315 pounds, or buy both halves for $1899.00 ........ :shock:

Is organic Hereford that good that one should pay that much for a half?? a grand before cut and wrap? so add that in too?

they must think theres alot of suckers out there thall give over $3.50 a lb.sounds a tad high for organic beef.

I don't think their suckers, they're what we call, THOSE people. The ones who buy a bottle of water for what you can buy a whole case of it for. The ones who drive back and forth to their office jobs in a Hummer. The ones that wouldn't be caught dead buying a no name brand at the grocery store. The ones who'll tell you how foolishly they spend their money, thinking that your impressed.

We get $2.00 a pound hanging. They pay the kill fee and the cut and wrap. We find it hard to get new customers, but everyone we've sold to calls back the next year for more. We normally just sell a few late calves that we hold back. Unfortunately it looks like we'll have to sell the whole bunch in the next few months.

i hafta keep turning people away at 2$ lb delivered. thats hangin wieght but i include the kill cut and wrap. although i could do better... it still is more than dbl what i would do at the mrkt and i dont hafta load em or haul em. he comes to kill it and i go get it....time is money as well, and loadin and haulin is werk and money...guess which one i got plenty of :cry2:

My calculations, subject to error, back that up to be a 1015 lb live animal.
USDA says commercial slaughter calves traded at $.93 live basis last week.
So, the feedyard would have received $944 for that animal, if it brought top price. (Probably lost money)
Whether the seller of that organic meat is making a killing depends on what additional cost was incurred to get a Hereford calf to market organically.
Organic hay, organic grain, organic pasture. Expensive. At a minimum, 50% higher than conventional. Double conventional price is probably more likely.
And time. Raised organically, that calf is likely 36 months old.
Of course, if that calf was raised conventionally and sold organically, the extra $ would be huge. But no one would do that, would they?
Regarding the ? of WHO would pay that price, google P.T. Barnum.

like to know if it was grass finished or organic...lotta people call it the same thing. considerable diff though. grass finished def aint organic...although natural

DB the ad didnt say anything at all about being certified or how they were finished. just showed a picture of some red and black cows in a pasture lol. I just cant find it in me to pay a grand for a 315 pound hanging half... maybe I am to cheap?

pm sent...yea...man if i could only do that. im happy to not be able to meet demand at 2$/lb hangin...wow! to make 1800$ offa on cow....washington state must not be in a recession like the rest of the ctry huh!

we are getting hit bad, we have one of the highest gas taxes in the nation, property taxes are off the charts, ya know, a pack of smokes costs almost 7 bucks in most places. I cant afford to drive to work anymore. boss cant give me a raise because he is trying to pay the fuel bill for the truck I drive. somethings gotta give soon...4.69 for diesel and if you want to buy biofuel to save the enviroment, they jacked that up to around 8 bucks a gallon. used french fry oil, 8 bucks. :shock:
so maybe this guy is getting that kind of money for his beef, hope he is, maybe they are just used to paying big bucks for everything and thats a drop in the bucket for them. I wouldnt pay it but I am thinking I should advertise like him when I have two more ready in the future!!
maybe you should think about shipping boxes of frozen steaks up here lol. I am sure someone would buy them, just have to come up with a good slogan and marketing plan!

I was out at a place yesterday. He raises "organic pasture chickens." Eggs are $4.50 a dozen and whole fryers are $4.50 a pound. He is raising 20,000 fryers a year and 60 dozen eggs a day and selling every bit of it. The recession is hitting some people but there are others who still have more money then brains.

Latest posts