'98 Dodge 5 speed manual trans.

Help Support CattleToday:

TSR

Reaction score
I recently had to have my Dodge 5 speed trans repaired. While going down the road in 5th gear the trans. seemingly went into neutral all the other gears were fine. Trans guy that repaired it told me the Dodge 5 speeds had trouble with a nut coming loose. This guy has always been very relaible in his repair work. Now a short time later the same thing has happened. I believe he said he had put some type of threadlock on the nut that had come loose. Anyone here heard of this problem in the 5 speeds? Is something being missed in the repair ?

I have heard of it. I traded my 98 for a 03 years ago. When I traded the dealer asked me, if I'd had any transmission problems. I told him no. He said, there had been a few problems with the back nut coming loose. I had forgot about it,till I read your post.

This is where I got my 5th gear nut:

Dodge Updated 5th Gear Nut (nv4500)

A friend and I did this fix on my truck in one day in the driveway with nothing more than a floor jack, some jack stands, regular hand tools and a good bit of cold beer (required when a friend is helping you on a car).

Dont get me wrong, it took us ALL day.

Start by removing both driveshafts. make sure and mark the placement of your rear c/v bearing for re-install or you will get d/s vibes. unbolt tcase linkage and unhook the vacuum lines from the top of the tcase. unbolt the tcase from the tailshaft housing. the tcase probably weighs 150lbs or so so make sure to have a friend and a floor jack handy for removal. then unbolt the tailshaft housing. replace revised 5th gear nut with locktite and tighten to 300ft/lbs (I think). clean gasket surface and replace gasket with rtv. re-assemble everything. haha.

This isn't a technically difficult or tedious process, just labor and time intensive.

good luck!

The " trick" to the repair is a new nut as much as having the right tool to install it! It's torqued to a bunch ( I did one with my helper 6 months ago) and don't know how you could do it proper without the proper tool. He was doing it for the second time. The first time they replaced the nut but tried to tighten it / torque it by who knows what method :dunce: I convinced him to have his brother who works at a machine shop make him the tool at lunch one day. It is all good now.

John SD":1c513ftq said:
Neighbor has a Dodge they put an updated self locking nut on. I've heard a very small spot weld in the right place does the trick too. You didn't hear it from me. ;)
Worked for me.

This was common problem among hotshotters on the early Dodge 5 spds, I had it happen 5 times in 200k, mainly happens to trucks that pull heavy goosenecks alot. From what I remember they came out with a new mainshaft for the tranny to fix it. Yes you can lock tight it, stake it with a punch even tack weld it(not good, shaft will end up breaking at tack)...I did them all as did other hotshot guys and had failure.
One of the local tranny guys was putting in a mainshaft from Chevy nv4500 and modify the driveshaft with success. I ended up swapping in an Allison Auto and brownie 3 spd, that was before the main shaft fix came out. I will call the guy I use to have work on my trannny to see what he knows about the fix

I put an Allison 545 in and then the brownie for the OD, both trannies were in town and got them for a good price. Truck was originally a 5spd/4.10's. After I swapped in the allison/brownie, I regeared to 3.55's in the rear. Start out in direct in the brownie, the allsion would shift thru the gears..once in 4th at the top of the rpms I would "float the brownie into OD and allison do its thing. Worked out good, ran the truck just over 500k before selling it.
The electronic would have been better though.

Latest posts