961 Ford questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
May be a long shot, but hoping somebody here has one, or been around one.

Sold my 451 Massey about a month ago, and got a TL80. I really needed some more horse power for hay. It kinda overpowers the implements I had for the 451. They aint worth much, so I hated to try and sell them. I also hate to see them just sitting. So, I ran up on a 961 tricycle front end. I wouldn't call it my dream tractor, but I've always thought they were neat. Anyway, it will pull all the "stuff" I have sitting around.

I probably didn't go over it enough, before I bought it. Also, I have an 8n Ford. Pretty much any part on that thing is readily available on the net somewhere. Hadn't found anything yet, that wasn't a few clicks away.

Somebody has ground the serial number off this tractor. Not sure why, but also suspicion it is a Frankenstein. I'm convinced atleast two tractors put together to make one. It has selectospeed sheet metal, and the 5 speed transmission. The 3 point hitch does not come anywhere close enough to the ground. I know it's a row crop tractor, but this aint even close.

Few questions;
1. In absence of a serial number, can I determine the year model.
2. Standard parts vailable on several sites, but no cast parts. I need to narrow down what I have. I "think" maybe sombody took an 861 rearend, and put down drives on it. That maybe what a 961 is anyway, I really don't know. Anyway the housing for one of the down drives has about half the bolt holes stripped out. previous owner went to some pretty great lengths to conceil how bad it leaks oil. I'm not going to fool with that much, but will take it to our local machine shop. I finger crossed hope, they can do something with that drive, because I have no idea where to find one. Anybody know of a graveyard for those things?
3. Light as a feather in the front, when hooked to my drum mower. Surprised me. I know the drum mower is heavy, and sticks strainght out the back, but it completely candalevears this tractor. Two of my kids standing on the front bumper won't even affect it. Will the front end on those tractors stand up to 5 or 6 suitcase weights? Looks like a recipe to wera it out. I could take them on and off for hay season I guess.

Bigfoot said:
May be a long shot, but hoping somebody here has one, or been around one.

Sold my 451 Massey about a month ago, and got a TL80. I really needed some more horse power for hay. It kinda overpowers the implements I had for the 451. They aint worth much, so I hated to try and sell them. I also hate to see them just sitting. So, I ran up on a 961 tricycle front end. I wouldn't call it my dream tractor, but I've always thought they were neat. Anyway, it will pull all the "stuff" I have sitting around.

I probably didn't go over it enough, before I bought it. Also, I have an 8n Ford. Pretty much any part on that thing is readily available on the net somewhere. Hadn't found anything yet, that wasn't a few clicks away.

Somebody has ground the serial number off this tractor. Not sure why, but also suspicion it is a Frankenstein. I'm convinced atleast two tractors put together to make one. It has selectospeed sheet metal, and the 5 speed transmission. The 3 point hitch does not come anywhere close enough to the ground. I know it's a row crop tractor, but this aint even close.

Few questions;
1. In absence of a serial number, can I determine the year model.
2. Standard parts vailable on several sites, but no cast parts. I need to narrow down what I have. I "think" maybe sombody took an 861 rearend, and put down drives on it. That maybe what a 961 is anyway, I really don't know. Anyway the housing for one of the down drives has about half the bolt holes stripped out. previous owner went to some pretty great lengths to conceil how bad it leaks oil. I'm not going to fool with that much, but will take it to our local machine shop. I finger crossed hope, they can do something with that drive, because I have no idea where to find one. Anybody know of a graveyard for those things?
3. Light as a feather in the front, when hooked to my drum mower. Surprised me. I know the drum mower is heavy, and sticks strainght out the back, but it completely candalevears this tractor. Two of my kids standing on the front bumper won't even affect it. Will the front end on those tractors stand up to 5 or 6 suitcase weights? Looks like a recipe to wera it out. I could take them on and off for hay season I guess.

You might go to this website and ask your questions. A lot of people over there know a lot about Ford tractors.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/ford/wwwboard1.html

If your drum is a 6 footer, none of your 100 series tractors are enough for it; not in PTO hp, in front end weight, especially for the left front wheel when in the mow position and the 3 pt is lifted. I run mine on a 3910 and still have to put about 300# on the grille guard to keep the steering sure footed.

Texasmark said:
If your drum is a 6 footer, none of your 100 series tractors are enough for it; not in PTO hp, in front end weight, especially for the left front wheel when in the mow position and the 3 pt is lifted. I run mine on a 3910 and still have to put about 300# on the grille guard to keep the steering sure footed.

I'm afraid your right. Plus, this is a tricycles front end.

Just going to wide front adds a couple hundred pounds by the time you figure in the weight of the axles, etc. I have no love for tricycle tractors, 2 lunger gassers, etc.. the technology is just too outdated.

as for the stripped out bolt holes, just heli-coil them and call it a day, shouldn't be too hard if you can get access to them

Bigfoot said:
Texasmark said:

I'm afraid your right. Plus, this is a tricycles front end.

I know that wide front ends have one pivot point but they have 2 ground contact points such that any ground connection disturbance on one wheel is not necessarily experienced on the other...halving the disturbance. I have seen them but not in my corral ;-)

Latest posts