'96 GMC Sierra leaf springs

Help Support CattleToday:

Lone C Ranch

Reaction score
I've got a '96 GMC Sierra 2wd that is very soft in the rear end when I put any kind of a load on it. The springs that are under it now have 3 leafs. I have noticed that some other trucks in that year range that I have looked at have 4 leafs. I have heard of people removing a leaf to make the truck sit level. I am wondering if a prior owner did that to this truck. Do any of you know if these trucks came with 3 of 4 leafs from the factory? Also, have any of you ever installed helper springs? If so, what kind did you get and how much of a difference did they make? Thanks.

I think if you have 3 then that is only a half ton although the Sierra I thought was a 3/4 ton. I have extra leafs on my 3/4 and 1/2 ton and it really makes difference. I take them to a frame shop and tell them what I want, they can custom bend them for the correct spring rate. Also you can get a over load or helper spring from the auto parts, it is easy to install. The over load kicks in once the truck sits down too far and won't make your truck sit any higher. The one extra leaf inserted in the bed of leafs makes my pick-ups set up another inch or two.

Angus Cowman":z5oanc8a said:
hayray":z5oanc8a said:
I just walked by my pick ups and on my half ton before the extra leaf I had 4 springs and my 3/4 Sierra has 6 leafs.
Sierra is the style or option package not the rating the 1500 is a 1/2ton the 2500is a 3/4 ton 3500 is a 1 ton
So what is the Silverado, I am thinking that is Chevy's version, is that in a 2500 also?

You might also try the air bag helper spring set up. Truck won't ride all that rough when the bag isn't inflated and when you need to carry a little extra just air up the bags.

I ended up removing a leaf from an old set of springs that I had, and added them to the springs in the truck. I haven't had a big load on it yet, but so far it seems to have helped a lot.

Latest posts